Harbeth for Naim : Comparison P3ESR,P3ESR Anniversary Edition, P3ESR XD

The matter of choosing the P3ESR or M30 series is still a dilemma for me, I currently use the Audiopro E3 Evidence bookshelf which I don’t think is bad, but I’m very curious if my Naim system uses Harbeth speakers. My listening room is not big, measuring only 3.25 m x 3.35 m and I usually keep the volume up only until half past nine at the loudest.
For bass business, Audiopro Evidence E3 is actually enough for me. I don’t know how the P3ESR/M30 series can match or maybe be better than the speakers I’m using now, hopefully far above it

Not necessarily! If you read the HiFi reviews for the XD version, none of them conclude that. Going by the reviews I have read, the XD’s are more refined and engaging than the previous version. But….it all comes down to how you engage with them in your space.

Good luck with the demoes.

1 Like

With your small room, I really would consider the ProAcs. Not just because I own them but simply because they will live happily by the wall. Do you really want speakers 45cm+ into the room. I’ve never heard a Harbeth but I do know that the ProAcs are designed for close to wall placement, whereas the Harbeths absolutely are not.

1 Like

I am not sure this is the right way to look at it. You really need try both and see what suits your ears / room / system better. There is no Hartbeth speakers which is associated with the words sharp or bright. Bear in mind that the P3ESR in its XD version is the speaker which had the most significant change in the Harbeth lineup, so you are really looking at 2 different speakers in the same form factor.
Are you going to buy new or second hand?

I agree that the tablette 10 seems to be the better and more flexible choice. They are much cheaper also, if that matters…
I am currently thinking about trying a pair myself…because of future room restrictions.

G

2 Likes

I quite liked how the P3ESR sounded on the HiFi racks stands (they are surprisingly solid and heavy!), much better than on the metal open designs, mine were in black and looked quite good too.

1 Like

Those Harbeths are nice but number four on my list.
Meaning I’d choose Graham, Falcon and Stirling before Harbs.

Those stands really are the rolls Royce of stands for Harbeth. They really are wonderfully designed and built. I kept eyeing them but stuck to my homemade solution (folding bookshelf/plant stand) made of wrought iron from the container store. The top shelf was almost the exact height needed and a silicone kitchen pad protected the bottom.

If you are trying to add some bass with the Harbeth, you may be disappointed, going by the balance of my M30.1. They were well balanced but did leave out a fair amount of bass (mostly noticed by later comparisons) and I would expect the p3 to be in the same family. Mind you, I don’t think your room (size) and speaker choices will allow for deep bass but certainly should be able to find a happy compromise. Good luck

@primemerkava

Not sure you have made a decision yet but I thought I would share a photo of the ATC SCM 7 speakers that I used for several months this past year. Great speakers and less than two thirds of the cost of a pair of the Harbeth P3ESR XD. A great pair of speakers.

I just took them off line and re-installed my ProAc D30RS.

I did recently listen to a pair of Harbeth C7ES-3 XD and Harbeth 30.2 XD speakers in the dealer showroom and both were excellent. So if you can hear a demo of the 30.2 it might peak your interest.

4 Likes

That Quadraspire is back to front.

Yes, it is…

Please don’t tell me you did comparisons and found the system to sound better with the quadraspire reversed. :relieved:

2 Likes

No comparison made on sound.

I did find it easier to plug in cables on the back of the boxes with the curve being in the back.

HH is very astute in his observation and I am sure none of my family or friends would notice the difference.

Life is sweet and so is the music…

3 Likes

@Bandit, do you find your speakers moved at some point in time on the TonTräger stands? I have to place some blue tack on the extended tenons to keep my Harthbeth 40.2 in place.

Whilst not renowned for their bass, amplification will have a say in this and it will depend on ones taste in music. Two additional considerations beyond the op’s space situation.

Although I do not own the P3ESR XD, everyone who compared the original P3ESR with the P3ESR XD has found the latter to sound brighter with more extended treble. If there are 10 people who made the comparison, everyone made the same observation. As to the brighter or sharper sound causing listening fatigue, there are some who found that to be the case and reverted to the original P3ESR for its warmer and more soothing presentation. There are also some who prefer the more lively sound of the XD. A matter of preference as always.

Not sure about dynamics and tonality but I expect it to be about the same. I listened to the original P3ESR several times and currently own the SHL5+ (more than 10 years with Harbeth).

2 Likes

FWIW if you value tonality, the Harbeth is some of the best if not the best in my opinion and experience. I owned the Proac Tablette 50 Signature and found it to sound noticeably inferior when it comes to tonal accuracy. Sound of instruments such as acoustic guitars, violin, trumpet etc., they do not sound like the real thing through the Proac. Percussion such as cymbals sound very splashy. However, the things they do well, they do very well. The Tab 50 Sigs image very well with an airy 3-dimensional sound and more extended treble. The sound is lean from top to bottom in comparison to the full sound of the Harbeth.

I’m not sure about the Tab 10 Sigs but they are likely improved I presume.

1 Like

…I am not sure if you have looked at the Harbeth web site since they have their own user group forum and you can find additional comments regarding there speaker line from users and the owner Alan Shaw who contributes quite often.

1 Like