Harbeth for Naim : Comparison P3ESR,P3ESR Anniversary Edition, P3ESR XD

FWIW if you value tonality, the Harbeth is some of the best if not the best in my opinion and experience. I owned the Proac Tablette 50 Signature and found it to sound noticeably inferior when it comes to tonal accuracy. Sound of instruments such as acoustic guitars, violin, trumpet etc., they do not sound like the real thing through the Proac. Percussion such as cymbals sound very splashy. However, the things they do well, they do very well. The Tab 50 Sigs image very well with an airy 3-dimensional sound and more extended treble. The sound is lean from top to bottom in comparison to the full sound of the Harbeth.

I’m not sure about the Tab 10 Sigs but they are likely improved I presume.

1 Like

…I am not sure if you have looked at the Harbeth web site since they have their own user group forum and you can find additional comments regarding there speaker line from users and the owner Alan Shaw who contributes quite often.

1 Like

My Quadraspire is also back to front, it helps with cable management .

I have the wobbly Quadraspire and if I ever move…

It will be part of my downsizing plan

Yes, I do. That’s a good idea to place some blue tack on the extended tenons. I only have some tape marked on the floor to check if they move, then I can reposition them back.

1 Like

what is the safe distance to put the P3ESR from the wall?

They were only 15cm from the front wall in the smaller room. I found bass boom a lot. I think they need at least 30cm from the wall. However it depends on each room, need to experiment.

I find the midrange tonality of the Harbeth very likeable but that of the Tabs 10S more accurate. One could call it just a bit lean or the Harbeth’s a bit congested - a matter of perspective. I agree sometimes the Tabs “splash”, however at higher volume (don’t think they are intended this way in a big room anyway).
I thought @jhsnider formulated it extremely well in one word recently when discussing ls3/5a speakers in another thread and to me it rings true to all small monitors - it’s how well they “articulate”, all of the music. I think the ProAcs articulate in a more coherent, transparent and versatile way can be spectacularly lifelike. It’s a matter of preference after all, of course, I seem to have a clear preference for the latter.

1 Like

I also used one of those ‘torchiere’ lamps for soft lighting and ambience, but I noticed when music suddenly stopped playing there was a long, loud bell-like drone that was coming from its bell-shaped glass lampshade, which was injecting itself into the music. It had to go…

1 Like

My P3 esr are 33cm from rear wall in very small room.(3.5 sq m.)
No bass boom whatever,very nice controlled bass with SN3.

I currently have a ProAC Response D2R offer, with a room of 3.35 m x 3.35 m, isn’t the speaker capacity too big?

I don’t own the P3esr-XD, but I have owned the C7es3 in the XD variant for over a year. The XD might have more treble than past versions, but it is NEVER fatiguing. I have listened at high volumes for several hours a session with the C7 XD, It does not matter what kind of music, they are never fatiguing and are always gentle on the ears.

You can check out the response in this review:

That is an almost ruler flat response with no spikes in the presence or treble regions.

5 Likes

Good review makes me want to put Never mind the ******** on. On the look out for new speakers will start with the compact 7ES.

Heard the SHL5 plus playing in the background at Audio T and they were the first speaker that’s sparked my interest when visiting.

1 Like

It’s not something I would do.

Yes, it’s very good for ambient since that corner is a bit dark. However I believe mine should go as well. Thank you for your feedback. Much appreciated.

Hi, with NAP 200 I would choose P3ESR XD version - excellent speakers. To be sure Your decision do the “blindfold” test to compare “XD”, “anniversary” and “original” edition in the same room.

I have DAC V1 / NAP 100 and had for a few years P3ESR “original” version. I changed them for PMC 20.21 - and as a second system is placed in a small 12 square meters bedroom. I have made this decision because I bought Harbeth shl5+ and now waiting for Naim 300DR…

When I had “blindfold” test with NAP 100 I couldn’t hear the difference between “oryginal / anniversary and XD”. But Your amp is much better so probably (I am sure) You will hear the difference. And enjoy music playing through Naim and Harbeth…

now I’m using Audio Pro Evidence E3 and sometimes B & W DM601 S3,
I’m quite satisfied with these 2 speakers, but I want to upgrade to bookshelf speakers that are more able to bring out Naim’s potential, especially in the absence of perfect voice, vocals and detail coloration

I own a pair of the ATC SCM 7 speakers and they sound fantastic with my Naim System.

I have heard the ProAc Tablet 10 speakers with a Nait XS 2 a few years ago at a Naim dealer and thought they sounded might fine. A lot of folks on the forum own them and if you do a search on the forum using ‘Tab 10’ you will find over 50 threads. Check out the ‘Show us Your Tablet 10’ thread.

I do not know if you have looked at the Harbeth website but they have a link to their user forum and you can find comments regarding their speakers from users although the vast majority do not use Naim amplification.

1 Like

So if it is concluded that if you have to choose, ProAC is more suitable for Naim than Harbeth for the purpose of bringing out the real Naim character?

No, this is nonsense! Please do not take such comments literally.

There are many Naim/Harbeth users on this site, many of them posting and have extremely excellent systems.

The problem with garning views from the Forum is that you will get a wide variety of comments that ultimately don’t give you anything useful to work with.

Demoe the XD’s in your room with you amplification to see how they and you get on. If you are unsure, the next step is to demoe other speakers.

Speakers close to walls etc, is very dependant on your room, all these types of comments are pure speculation until you try.

You will just end up going round in circles.

I have a chance now auditioning

• ProAC Response D2R
  • ProAC Response DB1
  • ProAC Response D1
  • ProAC Tablette 10
  • ProAC Tablette 10 Signature
  • ATC SCM11 V1

and I’m confuse hahahaha…