Harbeth for Naim : Comparison P3ESR,P3ESR Anniversary Edition, P3ESR XD

Yes, I was amazed at how seemingly under-represented Naim are on that forum.

My Nova, powerline , Witch Hat Phantoms and P3ESR can be a stunning combo.

2 Likes

Well, there you go! Good luck with that lot.

For me, my system, my room, my ears I have preferred ProAc.

I have purchased both ProAc Response D2D speakers and ProAc Response D30RS speakers.

As mentioned above I do own a pair of ATC SCM 7 speakers as well and believe ATC works very well with Naim.

I recently listened to Harbeth C7ES-3 XD and M30.2 XD in the dealer’s showroom and they sounded fantastic. I brought a pair of the C7ES-3 XD home for a demonstration and after listening to several albums I just could not get them to sing like they did in the dealers demo room. I replaced them with my ProAc D30RS and right from the first couple of tracks the soundstage and music returned.

Speakers are personal and what I like/love may not work for another person. As you look across the forum you will find many different users with their own choice of speakers that work for them. There is no wrong choice if you are enjoying the music.

I also had a pair of Naim Ovator S-400 speakers for some time which were quite nice as well.

I think that is why so many members, including myself, have found demonstrating at a dealer and using a replication of our home system or as close as possible is the best first step. If you can find a couple of speakers that work at the dealer then you should be able to arrange a home demo. Some dealers will want a credit card number to cover if you do not have a working relationship with them. If you buy on others recommendations without a demonstration you may find they do not work in your home environment.

I hope that answered your question.

3 Likes

Look for the review of the Harbeth c7es3xd from the part-time audiophile.

The C7ES3 is too big for the op‘s room, unless you use low listening levels.
I feel the thread is going nowhere…

@primemervaka: can you try any of the smaller suggested speakers? It is not about Naim, it is about finding a speaker which works in your room, which will be quite a challenge.

Why not just follow the suggestions here? Start with a small (ideally sealed) speaker, and see if it works for you. Your room is also a square so you really have to minimise all the negative impact the size and shape of the room brings with it.

I don‘t want to derail the thread in a more confusing direction than it went already but another speaker which can be placed well in pretty small rooms is the Neat Iota Alpha. Worth trying if they are available in your region.

1 Like

Quite! These kinds of threads drive me up the wall.

There is a very specific aim for the OP here, nothing anybody has said is fact, only speculation or personal speaker plugging.

You have been given some comments on the P3’s, you must demo at home. Get that aim resolved and come back to us for further comments on other speakers if it does not work.

2 Likes

I probably am not answering your question but I will tell you that:

I recently bought the XDs. I love them. There is just a clarity to them like I have never heard before. That said if you are looking for bass response. Then no

I also have a pair of Totem Forests and KEF LS50. I would say the Harbeths are significantly better than Totem which are slightly better then KEFs. But all the speakers are good. I use the moonriver amp and sometimes the 200/202 combo

2 Likes

thank you …your explanation make me get a point
could ypu tell me your experience on ProAC Response D2D…with Naim of course…do you satisfied?

1 Like

I had a similar experience with my D2R’s as @seakayaker. Our shared dealer let me try them at home with a less than an ideal setup(horrible source at the time) and I knew within 2 tracks they were going to work for me.

1 Like

When I first purchased a Naim Nait XS 2 I had brought home a pair of KEF LS 50 speakers. After listening for a few days I knew they were not a good fit for me. So I went back to the dealer and we spoke. I listened to some speakers in his demo room and the pair that I choose was the ProAc D2’s. I brought them home and they worked, the soundstage was there and I could hear the individual instruments and voices. The quality of music and the enjoyment I was experiencing was what I was looking for and willing to pay for.

I had bought the KEF LS 50’s because they received great reviews and they sounded good in the dealer’s demo room. When I got them home they just did not sound as good and I was just not enjoying the music. So I went for the ProAc speakers which were double the cost of the Kef speakers. When I set up the D2’s at home and listened to the music it made be smile. I knew that was the sound that I wanted.

My advice once again is find a dealer and go listen to the speakers you think you want. If you like what you hear then bring them home for a demo. In the long run you will be much happier and have more enjoyment when listening to music.

Good luck with your decision.

2 Likes

thank you, suggestions and sharing experiences using ProAC D2 series really helped me to make sure to use ProAC D2R
Compared to the Harbeth P3ESR, have you tried it k=also with your system?

I have not heard the Harbeth P3ESR.

If you can find a dealer who has both Harbeth and ProAc you should go listen to both speakers.

Predicting the next question:
“With the proac d2 speakers, do I want the dome or the ribbon tweeters?”
Sometimes you have to listen yourself. Assuming that’s possible obviously.

Or try the db1. Dome only.

3 Likes

I choose D2R for ProAC because now the one at the dealer of that type
sell for GBP 2075
mint condition just use in low hours and in complete packaging

1 Like

Ok, get down there, have a listen, get ‘em home, try again, job done.

2 Likes

Dealers often demo Harbeths with quality stands like Tontraegers. If one uses lesser stands (not saying you did), the results won’t be the same.

I often hear from friends here and offline, Harbeth seems different in sound quality comparing on Dealer vs on our real hifi room…do Harbeth so difficult to configure right position ?

Yes, I would agree - when I tried the P3ESRs on e.g. the Spendor dedicated very light stands, they just sounded unrecognisably awful and out of focus compared to at the dealer. At the time I then tried some other stands and the best were the heaviest metal ones.

I’ve heard a lot of Harbeth models and versions at dealers and at home and would’t say they are in any way hugely unique but if I’ve noticed anything, it’s that the midrange sounds better at home and the bass usually worse (no big surprise may be), and amplification change with the P3ESR in particular makes quite a difference to the presentation overall - and of course, this is about the room as much as the amp most of the time.

The TonTräger are very light stands, and made out of wood. You can raise it by your index finger.

ok, I have not used them and assumed they are the heavier type, but yes this would go against what I’ve experienced with several others