Harry Belafonte RIP

RIP King of Calypso

5 Likes

A life well lived

4 Likes

I think that one of my earliest memories is hearing the banana boat song on two way family favourites.

Must have been about three or four at the time.

2 Likes

RIP

1 Like

Apparently (according to Simon Mayo)

Day O / The banana boat song is Track one Side one of the first ever million selling album Calypso

1 Like

As a young child who had just been allowed to use his father’s record player, I fondly recall playing his copy of the ‘Mary’s Boy Child’ EP. R.I.P. Mr. Belafonte. Yours was a life well and purposefully lived.

1 Like

His appearance on The Muppets was my childhood introduction. A fantastic episode and what an entertainer.

1 Like

I recall this episode.

His popularity reached a new generation when his songs were featured in the film Beetlejuice.

I think of Banana boat(Day-O) more than the movie

1 Like

I posted this recently in another thread.

3 Likes

Many fond memories. The songs mentioned above from that inherited record which gets played at intervals. My parents also had a copy of Carmen Jones which was played regularly. I remember that and his activism throughout his life. May he walk in peace.

1 Like

Great LP with Harry’s voice beautifully captured.

2 Likes

His political activism was also significant and praiseworthy (IMO), especially in the civil rights movement and for UNICEF.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.