1 Like

Curved Air- Melinda More Or Less.

2 Likes

Babs singing Memory – I’ve never heard a better version:

5 Likes

Fabulous thread, thank you all.

Willie` Nelson - Always on my mind

Sarah Blasko - Flame Trees

Jimmy Barnes (from the autobiographical stage production Working Class Boy) - When the war is over. The whole show is especially poignant and casts Aussie pub classics in a very interesting light.

Another version of Shipbuilding - the Bad Shepherds (a fabulous group well worth exploring for great cover versions of British punk tracks reimagined as folk music by a former Young One)

And then there’s The Moody Blues:

“Are You Sitting Comfortably?”
“Nights in White Satin”
“Driftwood”
“Voices in the Sky”
“Out and In”
“New Horizons”
“The Land of Make Believe”
“In My World”
etc

3 Likes

Lucy Ward’s ethereal voice singing Icarus – from her album Single Flame.

1 Like

Don’t talk put your head on my shoulder. Original on Pet Sounds and three brilliant covers…beautiful cover by Anne Sofie von Otter and Elvis Costello.

If you haven’t heard Robert Wyatt’s version give it a try. In my view the best of a brilliant field.

1 Like

Particularly the “Barmy Army”

1 Like

Autumn leaves - Eva Cassidy

7 Likes

Wagner: Tannhäuser / Act 3 - Wie Todesahnung… O du mein holder Abendstern

3 Likes

Mix Master Morris in full quantum mode.

Reminds me sooo much of our lovely lost princess Diana.

Not really a song any more though is it. Nor hauntingly beautiful come to that.

1 Like

Sarah Mclachlan’s piano version of ‘Possession’ which is hidden at the end of the title track on Fumbling always makes me stop and listen.

6 Likes

For @davidng

1 Like

Game over.

5 Likes

I recall a TV performance of Allegri’s Miserere during the darkest days of Covid lockdown, before vaccines had been developed, when people were dying in their thousands and performing musicians’ work had dried up. One of the wonderful small professional choirs we are so blessed with in the UK (I think it may have been Tenebrae) sang the Miserere. Because of restrictions they couldn’t be together in the same room so each member of the choir had to be on their own and connected to a tv screen in the chapel where the “performance” took place with the conductor. What a viewer saw was rows of screens in the choir stalls, each showing a choir member. It was both very personal and very impersonal — a bleak reminder of the times we were then living in. In spite of the difficulties their performance of the Miserere was astonishing assured, certainly hauntingly beautiful and spine-tingling as well as deeply, deeply poignant and moving in the circumstances.

Roger

9 Likes

Thank you so much @Neilb1906, perhaps earlier but on the same train ride…

2 Likes

@Neilb1906 @davidng I was aware of Birdy and we own “Young Heart”

However, the sheer amount of EP’s she has in her catalogue I was not aware of, including the Zodiac series. An interesting day of Tidal listening ahead…

2 Likes