Have you stopped upgrading. If so, why?

@feeling_zen

How about getting a relatively cheap pair of speakers and keeping the headphones locked in a draw?

The only thing kids are really likely to damage are speakers, CD player draws, headphones and turntables. Using cheaper speakers (preferably s/h) will almost completely limit the risk to your expensive equipment and your good electronics will make the most of cheaper speakers, so you won’t loose that much in SQ.

I stopped reading the forum so was not being tempted. I have a score of 1577 on the naim system and the only spend will be in servicing the boxes when required or reccomended.

1 Like

My system was stable for many years, by 1993 I had Roksan TMS, Micromega Trio, 82/Hicap/135s into ES14s. The amps stayed the same for 25 years, until in 2018 I moved to 52/HICap. I’m very happy with what I now have, my NDX will probably become either an NDX2 or ND555 in the next year or 2, then I’ll settle down and listen to music again for years before I feel a need to do anything.

Thanks Jonners. Can you describe the “noticeable improvements”?

Good to see the new forum up and running. Thanks Richard for your work on this.

In answer to the question … Yes. I have stopped upgrading. The main reason for this is retirement and lack of funds although it is perhaps not as straightforward.

I still have my LP12/Armageddon/ARO/Troika (ESC Rebuilt), CDS2, NAC52/Supercap/NAP250, SBLs. Around ten years ago I added nDAC/XPS. I feed the DAC with a dual PC computer front end using JPLAY Femto/Audiophile Optimizer/Fidelizer Pro/Process Lasso and control it with a Samsung Galaxy tablet. I have spent ten years getting the computer front end to sound good and I think I have achieved that. It is now a worthy companion to my CDS2.

My views on hi-fi equipment have changed as I have grown older. I no longer consider myself to be an audiophile. My system plays music and I am able to enjoy music on my system. I believe that if a system enables the listener to enjoy music then it fulfils its purpose.

No upgrades are planned or affordable although it is my intention to get the 52/Supercap/250 serviced in the near future. I have used Naim Audio equipment for 37 years and have always enjoyed using it to listen to music. Guess that’s a result!

4 Likes

That’s what happened to me Keith… 552 at a sensible price. But then a 552 demands a 500 amp, a 500 amp demands speakers to go with it, so B&W 803 becomes 802… it really is a never ending spiral - up in sound quality & down in bank balance.

But we enjoy it (don’t we?)

1 Like

It’s the journey, not the destination.

It’s the opportunity cost, not the spend.

Innit?*

*Shout out to Berlin Fritz, wherever you are.

Sure - it’s brighter than a Stageline for a start, more detail, most noticeably the decay of cymbals. On the minus side, it doesn’t seem very forgiving of poorly recorded vinyl, maybe because it’s simply more revealing? It will do both MM and MC cartridges at the flick of a button but you’ll need to power it and RCA-DIN interconnect which will add to the price of course.

1 Like

Thanks Jonners,

Yes, that was what I heard in a friend’s system, but it was difficult to judge with 552, 500 amps.

1 Like

With the replacement of the second 200 with a 250 last April, my system seems to have reached a stable level where everything fits together nicely and there are no apparent weaknesses. Possible upgrades are a SuperCAP for the SNAXO, a Klimax DSM, experimenting with a Linn Exaktbox as a replacement for the SNAXO or DR upgrades for the 250s. But I don’t feel an immediate urge to upgrade and so the system may just stay unchanged for the rest of this year.

I don’t have room for the bigger speakers. Phew!

I have a 200/282 hi-cap’d system with an LP12 feeding a pair of Dynaudio standmounts and mainly play pop, rock and electronica. Of all the upgrades and tweaks I did last year, the Aria was amongst the best and most cost-effective, especially as I bought second-hand from a dealer and traded the Stageline in to boot.

1 Like

That’s really LOL!!!

Hi G, nice we are all together again in this new forum,

I think I now have my keeper system … why?
… it sounds wonderful, after 4 months the 252 seems to have had a bit of an uplift this last week - the preverbial “running in”?
… any further upgrades are now what I consider silly money, in fact what I have now is considered silly money by many family and friends :smiley:
… I don’t think my hearing would actually appreciate further upgrades, at my last demo I couldn’t tell the difference between a Linn Akurate and Klimax setup :frowning:

The only exception is when my UnitiServe goes I will be replacing (not upgrading) probably with a raspberry pi set-up into my DAC V1.

Haven’t figured out yet how to update my profile with my HiFi setup so here it is:
LP12 majik with Krystal cartridge and Linn Linto phono stage;
UnitiServe and DAC V1;
252 and supercap DR;
250 DR;
B&W 803D3

Allan

1 Like

Stopped? Most likely
Why? More than happy with what I have now. Unless I move into a much larger home then theres really no point. Im not looking forwards to an inheritance and I dont do the lottery so the chances of that are virtually zero.

Have I stopped upgrading? Sure thing, at least until next week. :yum:

Roger

I remortgaged in 2004 to buy the system I wanted to retire to but get to enjoy much earlier in life. Been retired 4 years now and I still run that same system and love it. Buying your dream system is a great way to cure upgraditis!

LP12, CDS3, 252, 300, SBLs and two dogs…

3 Likes

feeling_zen - I went through a period like this. Now they’re grown up and left home, what I wouldn’t give to spend time with them as kids again! So enjoy them, do it for them, love them while you can. You’ll be shocked at how quickly they’re ready to move out. Now I’m 59 I have lots of music time, but I’d much rather be with my kids again!

4 Likes

I went what about 4 solid years with NO upgrade. Then it hit, all at once.

SN2/HC2/NDS became 252/SCDR/250DR/ND555 all at once, about 4 months ago. Then I thought about speakers…auditioned a few.

By this weekend I’ll be able to post pics of the next iteration – 250DR being traded for a 300DR, and RP8/Aria “analog stage” being added, which necessitates splitting the Fraim into 2.

And Magico A3 speakers are on order.

1 Like

I’ve not (yet) stopped upgrading, just paused for a bit.

Last big upgrade in terms of system function was the UQ2 bought two years ago as the way into streaming. Only a 2nd hand Rega RP6 added since then. I’m now saving and waiting to see what Naim do with their new version of the 272, as that may dictate which way I leap. Two potential systems in mind…

272 (or its replacement) + 250DR.
NDX2 + Supernait2.

I do quite like the simplicity of just a top source and amp, but the responsive app based volume control of the 272 is also very tempting. Time will tell!