HDR HLG on BBC and Sky

Could have been a Villa shirt too so in that case a shocking Brummie accent … not to detract from the entertainment though .

1 Like

Unfortunately don’t have a UHD Sky box. I’m reluctant to committing myself to Sky for another 18 mths to upgrade my box or £100 charge to swap the box after watching such poor pic quality (HD pic should not be that poor)when watching The Invisible Man. Especially after being blown away by Disney Plus Dolby Vision presentation of Mulan.

Did watch LeMans and was impressed by pic quality so not sure why such a contrast in pic quality on Sky.

The (2Tb) Sky Q TV box is very much better than the standard HD box, and I find UHD content to be very good indeed. Netflix (UHD) and Amazon Prime are available as apps on the Sky Q box as well and UHD content is very good from these as well.

1 Like

I’m finding the same sources can look very different on different platforms.

BT Sport is best using Chromecast from my iPhone as TV app, SkyQ and Apple TV don’t give you 4K and HDR at the same time.

Amazon looks great using the Sony TV app watching The Marvellous Mrs Maisel but terrible for football, so SkyQ is then the way forward for that.

We upgraded the Apple TV yesterday so early days but Disney+ Look mighty impressive.

Keith

Yes… there are many variables with video… colour profile, gamma profile, dynamic management profiles, chroma compression… and we haven’t even mentioned resolution… unless you have setup your TV for each of these you will likely find quality variability on content… and you might find limitations on adjustment with your TV display… I can’t adjust gamma on HLG for example but I can for HDR10 and DolbyVision on my LG.
Also different media and platforms support different level of chroma compression… and as you would expect less compression here looks more lifelike and vivid with out needing to artificially saturate colours which is often otherwise done in ‘vivid’ presets and can look garish.

Consumer video currently is a wash with competing standards that even differ between cloud streaming and broadcast all interacting differently with your TV… hopefully it will settle down within a decade or so.

Yes I agree the DolbyVision on Disney+ works very well indeed.
To be honest DolbyVision adaptive dynamic range management tends to look brilliant on all platforms, but is limited to cloud streaming (and possibly Blu-ray) …

Yes, Apple TV and Amazon on the Sony TV favour DolbyVision whereas apps SkyQ are HDR. I agree about DolbyVision but clearly the implementation is also key. I’ve not worked out how to tell which flavour of enhancement the telly is processing.

Yes SkyQ (and the BBC IPlayer Beta) supports only HLG and not HDR10.

HDR10, Dolby Vision and HLG are all HDR standards.

Amazon, Apple and Netflix use DolbyVision and HDR10 for HDR as they are cloud streamers. It looks like Disney+ only uses DolbyVision.
BBC and Sky use only HLG HDR.

1 Like

Perfect Planet is looking pretty nice in HLG. Shame iPlayer doesn’t do surround though. Seems a wasted opportunity

1 Like

I have a LG B6. HDR10, Dolby Vision and HLG are all excellent on it. the downside I run everything though my Pioneer Av amp so my Sky Q box HLG does not work which is bloody annoying and should have been a firmware update by Pioneer like Dolby Vision was.

HLG via BBC iPlayer seems a bit more natural than HDR and Dolby vision on movies etc but i suppose it is why its used for terrestrial broadcast. SKY Q HLG when i plugged it in direct to my Tv for a test looks more akin to movie than the Beeb

Is it mainly for music or AV?

If the latter then I wouldn’t be so worried about compromising, especially it’s a family room.

I have B&W d2 mains and Monitor Audio centre and surrounds plus an ancient ‘90s REL sub. It’s perfectly fine for for TV and movies but really doesn’t cut it for music, despite the amp being Arcam. I’ve had to use an hdmi switch because the Arcam can’t pass through modern 4K so everything apart from the 4K blu-ray is limited to Dolby Digital via optical from the telly. Again, living room and financial compromise.

Keith

Does anyone know why the BBC iPlayer doesn’t support surround sound?

Watching on a professionally ISF calibrated Panasonic fz802 oled I find the BBC graded footage from the iplayer app to be stunning, the BBC make a real point to ensure the visuals are vibrant and bright and just very well mastered. SkyQ isn’t as impressive but it’s certainly an upgrade on sdr in most cases so I’ll take it when it’s there. In honesty though, sdr content on the calibrated display is beautiful, as I guess it should be.

Likewise using Disney and amazon via the skyq box is good but not amazing. I actually prefer to take the HLG from amazon from sky over the better HDR10 directly from the TV app purely because the sky q supports atmos (where available) and the TV doesn’t. The sound upgrade is very much more noticeable.

Hdr10 or hdr10+ on UHD bluray is fully magnificent.

Yes you want to be careful with Disney… they mostly use Dolby Vision (PQ) which is an alternate HDRR system to HDR10 and HLG, and is arguably the best as it is adaptive, but I guess there is a licence fee to its use. (Netflix and Amazon occasionally use Dolby Vision)
When I last looked SkyQ was not compatible with Dolby Vision, so much Disney Channel material won’t be optimum on the Sky Q system.
So I find on a quality OLED you typically get the best quality streaming direct to the TV decoders on the smart TV interface and not use Sky Q for those channels at all. Of course on a less capable TV with nonDolby Video decoder it makes no difference.

Dolby Vision and HDR10 use the same Perceptual Quantizer electro optical transfer function
HLG uses its own hybrid (compromise) transfer function which is a jack of all trades, but master of none to allow optimum legacy compatibility.
Both these HDR electro-optical transfer functions are defined in Rec.2100.

The standard SD transfer function is defined in Rec.601.
The standard HD transfer function is defined in Rec.709.
The standard UHD transfer function is defined in Rec. 2020.

In consumer video there seem to be many and evolving standards for different resolutions and transfer functions… must be a case to ensure where possible high end TVs can be software upgraded with transfer function decoding… currently many can not in this area.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.