HDX still good?

The HDX like the UnitiServe, I believe, can employ multiple music storage sites (SHARES) on one network. That’s why the UServe SSD model had a ssd so small – all storage was elsewhere on the network. One library is presented to the end-user, comprised of music stored various places.

Indeed, a very nice system. It will scan your network looking for key folders such as ‘music’. Assuming your shares are easily accessible it will then pull that music into the database. You might have issues with SMB protocols nower days, which means your share cannot be without security credentials, but not insurmountable.

1 Like

There’s nothing amazing or unusual about this. It’s what UPnP servers do.

indeed. Although there was a nice automation to it. But because of the security thing with SMB3 now, largely gone.

2 Likes

Have had my HDX since new. Now coming up to 10 years old. Have had it serviced a year or so ago. Some of the capacitors required replacement. But still use to down load the occasional CD. Have these stored on Synology NAS.
Also the cats love it as a heating pad in the winter months

5 Likes

Fits perfectly … As your Cats (they do know where the good ones are :)) know the warm place…

As i rearranged the Fraims (bought more and will send a pic when all is finished) I now put the HDX in a standard fraim shelf.
Does anyone arrange it same way - the box is really getting hot and I am a little afraid because of overheating. I have had him on Top shelf all the time, because of his tendency to lure cats.

Digital electronics can often run quite hot, so it’s probably fine as long as there is some space around the case, and the fan on the rear panel is not obstructed.
The fan should start automatically, but if you’re curious, you can view the internal temperature sensors via the System Status menu in the browser interface. (Not sure if the DTC or front panel display also show this.)

I check temperature quite often - In DTC the temperatures are not shown.
On a hot summer day under the roof the HDD temperature is around 55C - even when located on top shelf.
The fan never turned on.
The HDX had a servce last year with fan replaced. I have no problem, when the fan comes up - hopefully it does. :slight_smile:
Does anyone know the Temp when the fan should start?

I’m surprised you don’t hear the fan coming on. Naim did once say that the fan would kick in as 25 degrees ambient temperature (which seems quite low to me, but of course the internal temperature would be much higher than ambient.) Do you know the temperature of your room?

As we had some hot days recently here, i would say that we had around 28 min here.
Are you sure, that it is raoom dependet - is there a sensor on the HDX.
Think it is triggered by the temperature inside HDX.

I don’t know exactly where the temperature sensors are on the HDX, other than on the drive and the processor. Still, if the fan never comes on I would ask Naim support as maybe it’s not working properly.

Lets do :slight_smile:
@NeilS
Do you know what sensor and temperature triggers the HDX fan?

The fan which was replaced was a bit loud but switched on once. And it went one spinning like hell when the HDX is turned off.
The new one dont do this behaviour - naim told me, that there was something wrong with the fan control and thes resettet it.
But maybe my new fan is so silent that I am not hearing anything :slight_smile:

Hi drago,

There are temperature sensors in the CPU, system services control IC, and near the hard drive(s).
If the fan was spinning up at high speed when you shut down, the usual fault is the temperature sensor near the hard drive. Sounds like this was replaced.
I don’t actually know the trigger point, but when we soak test them, a script activates a program that works the system hard to check for overheating. That script flags a fail if the temperature rises above 60 degrees centigrade & I’ve not heard a fan running during that test before, so it must be north of that.

It is unusual to find the fan running when the unit is in free air - certainly in the UK anyway.

Edit - most of the heat in an HDX is created by the SMPS which is located directly behind the fan aperture, so a lot of the heat disperses via convection through the hole.

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

Neill,

This community amazes me every day. Never had this feeling before and I have been a lot around in different net-Forums. Thank you so much.
That’s what I think - never hit 60 before. On hot days I do look in system status sometimes.
As the shutdown is now silent, I also assume that Naim Germany did a good job, what they normally do :slight_smile:

@thread Discussion
Now we have proof. The HDX is way more than an outdated Computer. Which windows machine will be capable of staying silent till 60C :slight_smile:

Best regards from
Hamburg

You have to remember that in the world of computing, the HDX does have a relatively easy life. It has a 1.5ghz processor, a large solid aluminium heatsink that spans the processor, north and south bridge that is coupled to the chassis. It only has a few jobs to do, it’s never searching for online updates and running unnecessary background processes.
It runs at its highest capacity when rebuilding the database, or scanning shares & music stores. Otherwise it’s quite happily sitting at idle, even ripping is a doddle for it.

The residual heat generated is generally constant and is mainly from the heatsink, hard drives & power supply. In the case of hard drives, the master drive never sleeps & the backup only rests for a short period.

Regards
Neil.

Hopefully I am not misunderstood
I exactly want to point out, what wonderful machine it is, there has been discussions here on the value of it :slight_smile:

As others have mentioned; the HDX was my first step in the world of streaming and I still have good memories about it :slight_smile:

Hi Neil,
I understood from your information, that in mild climates (as nothern Germany has) there is no problem in placing the HDX in a standard fraim shelf (non top shelf).
Today I have 49C HDD temp… far from 60. 55C was maximum I had recognised.
BR

That sounds fine to me :+1:

Regards
Neil.