Headphones

For under a tenner it is a great piece of kit.

Bluetooth. NO NO NO NO NO. Itā€™s garbage.
Why be a cheapskate when spending on your portable solutions? You wouldnā€™t deliberately go for a cheap option when buying in for your home hifi would you? After all - the goal of best SQ outcome should be the same for both, shouldnā€™t it?

I recently modernised my smartphone but stiÄŗl wanted a solid cable solution. My portable option looks like this:

Samsung Galaxy A33 5g - Qobuz app - USB Audio Player app - Audioquest Dragontail connector - Audioquest Red Dragonfly DAC - "Golden Gate: cable ā€™ - B&W PX headphones.

Mate, donā€™t be mean to your ears, go for the USB/Offboard DAC solution. :smiley:

Itā€™s not just the price.

I used a very expensive solution for listening to music on the go. iPhone + Lightning adapter + Chord Mojo DAC + very expensive custom cable + Noble Audio earphones. Yes, the sound was outstanding. However, very quickly got tired of the complexity and inconvenience of this set. All these wires/boxes/clumsiness/weight really spoiled the pleasure of listening. For sitting at home unmoving it could work maybe, for a walk on the street, in layered clothes, with a bag, etc. - a real penalty.

After that, I had some pretty expensive Audeze headphones with a special Lightning adapter cable with a DAC built into it. It was a little more comfortable, although again, the wires were always in the way. Limited the options for use.

Now I have good Bluetooth earphones with fine sound quality, and I am quite satisfied. And itā€™s very convenient, the movement is not constrained, nothing hangs in the way, I can put smartphone in any pocket, or in my bag.

3 Likes

Fully agree. Bluetooth may not be the pinnacle of our game but it is certainly no longer garbage. Quite a well known YouTube reviewer did quite an informative review hereā€¦.

I have some Sony wh1000xm4 headphones they actually sound very good with an iPhone.
No way would I be faffing with all those cables and dacs whilst on the move!
Gary

1 Like

2 Likes

The quest is over. Iā€™m happy with the way it all connects and Iā€™m happy with the sound. Please bear in mind itā€™s listening on the move - so the sound quality is never needing to be that high. Itā€™s entertainment on a train, in an aircraft.
KISS!!

1 Like

Oh right. I donā€™t listen to music like that. With headphones, itā€™s either on the lounger on the patio or when Iā€™m on a plane or in a hotel or the like and I need my hifi fix.

I upgraded from my Sennheiser Momentums 2 to the Beyerdynamic Amiron wireless and love them. Very detailed and open.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.