Headphones

Members - I have a lovely pair of Sennehieser headphones. However, in the moveable feast that is life, my latest phone and laptop done have an output jack. Therefore, any music I have stored on these devices cannot be played other than through the pathetic onboard speakers. I’m told by my kids that there are Bluetooth headphones (they use those bud things) that might be the answer to my problem. So - have any of you got any experience of these, and which do you suggest can come close to a good pair of wired HiFi level headphones ? I await your thoughts…

Hi, I use Sennheiser Momentum 3 true wireless (tws) and I love them. This model is top wireless earbuds from Sennheiser, they also have more budget friendly wireless earbuds. Sennheiser also have wireless in traditional headphones form factor, but I wanted small buds to use during walk with my iphone. They would also pair any bluetooth device at home, such as laptop, etc.

I spend several days to get use to my Momentum 3 tws, but after that I am just enjoy them on the go. The sound is amazing and battery life is great. I use them 2-3 hours a day, and I re-charge base once in 3-4 days.

Would recommend without hesitation.

I recently upgraded my iPhone and had the same problem or “opportunity” to get some wireless headphones. Also, with Mrs R and young Mr R now working from home, I needed something for my main system.

I bought Sony WH-1000XM5. They sound great, meet my needs and can work either wirelessly or wired.

They are a bit bulky though which may be a consideration when travelling.

Do these type of headphones have what’d I’d call ‘meaningful’ bass ?

Have you thought about getting an adapter that has a 3.5mm headphone plug on one end and plugs into the charging socket at the other? They’re not expensive and they enable wired phones to be used. On the other hand if you need an excuse to buy something else….

3 Likes

If you are using an iPhone you can buy an Apple lightning to 3.5mm headphone jack adapter. Allowing you to use your wired headphones. They also make a usb-c adapter for iPad Pro and Mac’s

7 Likes

Now that looks both VFM and an answer to my issue.

2 Likes

I have one of these, but also own a pair of Apple AirPods for when cutting the lawn or previously going to the Gym.

1 Like

Thanks for your input (see that - seamless).
I’ve just ordered the Lightning to 3.5mm adapter.

3 Likes

Those adapters don’t have a good reputation for reliability. They are particularly susceptible to damage if you put the phone in a pocket as this bends the cable and it can easily split. Not so much of a problem if the phone is lying flat.
Another potential issue is that you can’t charge the phone while using it.

I generally prefer to use a separate portable music player instead of a phone, but I do occasionally use my phone with an adapter and an Audioquest Dragonfly DAC which greatly improves sound quality. This requires a lightning to USB adapter, and it’s possible to buy one that has an additional lightning socket to allow you to charge the phone while using it.

2 Likes

I am still using the original Apple adapter, included when Apple were packaging them with the iPhone, must be quite a few years ago now. I find if you put the phone in your pocket upside down so that the adapter is at the pocket opening, it doesn’t bend or get damaged. The adapter gives you the same sq as the old headphone socket did. Agreed you can’t charge at the same time, but if you are on the move you are unlikely to be charging the phone. Adding external Dacs isn’t ideal when you are on the move and there are more bits and bobs to get damaged.

1 Like

Hi, I appreciate since long Bose sport earbuds. Sound is pretty good, considering I usually listen while walking around the city. I appreciate the fact that they are not in ear, I don’t like having plugs deepen in my ears, but just lean in the ear.
Generally speaking bluetooth earphones can work better than wired earphones as they have built in a dedicated amplifier made for them that is made to measure.
instead at home I use hifiman deva that work with bluetooth or with their cable, but are not so comfortable to be used around the city, have a look and them and you will understand. to be planar earphones they are pretty cheap.

1 Like

Believe it or not that’s a DAC + headphone amp inside the lighting end of that cable

I have just purchased these for my wife and they are very very good for Bluetooth headphones. They sound as good as some of my old wired sets.

Focal Bathys Wireless Active Noise Cancelling Bluetooth Over-Ear Headphones with Mic/Remote, Grey

Why not add a wireless external dac to your headphones like the ifi go blu, ifi go bar or even an ifi xdsd gryphon.

They work great by Bluetooth or cable to use with any phone and maintain the current headphones we already have.

1 Like

Or buy the best STAX Earspeakers that you can. Unbeatable sound quality, and beautifully made. Of course that involves having an extra box in the Energiser that’s necessary to power the electrostatic drivers in the 'phones, but any Naim amp can manage this without difficulty, and the sound quality is streets ahead of just about anything else.

1 Like

The original post mentioned it was for iPad or phone connection. Not Naim.

I am using Sennheiser Momentum 4 over ear wireless headphones and am delighted with them. Well worth demoing.

Apple lightning to 3.5mm headphone jack adapter has arrived. Works a treat on phone and iPad with various h/phones.
I am very pleased with it.

4 Likes

Love a great “pleased outcome” with an inexpensive LoFi solution :grin: