Heads up Pink Floyd fans

The Dark Side Of The Moon (Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue, Remastered, Stereo) pochette d'album

Plus D’Images

Pink Floyd ‎– The Dark Side Of The Moon

Label:

Pink Floyd Records ‎– PFRLP8, Pink Floyd Records ‎– 5099902987613

Format:

Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue, Remastered, Stereo, Gatefold, 180g

Pays:

Europe

Sortie:

04 Nov 2016

Genre:

Rock

Style:

Prog Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Classic Rock

Tracklist

2016 Pink Floyd Music Ltd., marketed and distributed by Parlophone Records Ltd.,
a Warner Music Group Company. © 2016 Pink Floyd Music Ltd. The copyright in this
sound recording and artwork is owned by Pink Floyd Music Ltd. Made in the E.U.
www.pinkfloyd.com

Who owns this 2016 remaster? better than first uk pressings ?

Ah - let’s hope (against expectation) that it’ll eventually be released separately. You never know - give the box set a year to sell as many as it’s going to, then release separately to mop up everyone else like me who’s got slightly higher priorities for four monkeys. Or is it ponies? Alpacas, maybe?

1 Like

No @frenchrooster. In terms of vinyl, my preferences are:

1. UK pressings 1 to 4 (1973/4)
  2. 1997 EMI Centenary version
  3. 2016 version (much better than the 2011 version)
  4. Japanese Toshiba-EMI Pro-Use from 1976
2 Likes

This would appear to be what’s in the box. Full details and tracklist will be released this Friday…

AUDIO

CD 1: A Momentary Lapse of Reason Remixed & Updated

CD 2: Delicate Sound of Thunder Remixed, Part 1

CD 3: Delicate Sound of Thunder Remixed, Part 2

CD 4: Previously Unreleased Live & Studio Recordings

CD 5: Knebworth Concert 1990

VIDEO CONTENT

BR/DVD 1: Surround & Hi-Res Audio Mixes

BR/DVD 2: Delicate Sound of Thunder Restored & Remixed

BR/DVD 3: Pulse Restored and Re-Edited

BR/DVD 4: Venice Concert 1989 / Knebworth Concert 1990

BR/DVD 5: Unreleased Live Films, Music Videos & Concert Screen Films

BR/DVD 6: Documentaries and Unreleased Materials

7” VINYL

Lost for Words

Arnold Layne (DG, NM and RW live at the Barrett tribute concert @ The Barbican, 2007)

OTHER

Lyric book

Photo book

Stickers

Memorabilia facsimilies

That’s about right Kevster, those early UK versions sound better than those that have been released afterwards.

In terms of the box set prices have become like footballers salaries, a complete joke.

I will wait and see how the prices move but will probably pick up at some point.

Gary

1 Like

Don’t think I’ll be rushing in, I agree with most these are not what I call great Pink Floyd albums.

I suspect these will be available at Poundland in a year or so.

5 Likes

Funny, isn’t it, how tastes vary! Whilst Ummagumma to me is interesting rather than involving, and I rarely play it, AHM, particularly the title track, is a perennial favourite, while I think Hitchhiking is really good, albeit eclipsed by some others.

3 Likes

Interesting Kevin. I have the 2016 issue, but I’m guilty of not having opened it and played it yet. I think I also have the EMI Centenary issue too, but can’t recall whether I rated it or not.

One of the few early MFSLs that I kept was the DSOTM original 1979 issue. I’ve had hot and cold moments with this one over the years, but the last time I played it on the Rega, it moved up a few notches for me and could well be a contender for top spot with a nice HTM UK cut.

I also need to have another listen to the 2003 30th Anniversary Kevin Gary Acoustech issue. I seem to recall that when I first played it back then I wasn’t so impressed.

1 Like

This truly is a thread for obsessives! Great entertainment and a peek into a universe I never realised existed until I bought Naim and joined this forum. I honestly thought this degree of obsession only ever applied to trainspotters and model railway hobbyists! How wrong I was.

4 Likes

It’s OK but not fantastic @Richard.Dane.

Timmo, trust me, this is kindergarten stuff compared to the obsessiveness you’ll find in some other places. But the main thing is, the intentions are hopefully all good - to help everyone sort the vinyl wheat from the chaff (see applicable thread in the Music Room on this forum).

2 Likes

OK, thanks. A shame, but that’s what I thought. I guess I should unwrap that 2016 issue and give it a listen…

1 Like

I love it Richard, and it’s all good, harmless fun. I’ve actually picked up some great tips for nice recordings that haven’t cost the earth, and as many have said, if it’s not your interest, scroll on by! Apart from the occasional blip, I find this to be a nice, friendly, informative forum, even for the more casual owner/user like myself.

1 Like

There is always worth…

1 Like

Tracklist for The Later Years highlights CD/2-LP:

1. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts 1-5) [Live at Knebworth 1990] [2019 Mix] (new 2019 mix)
  2. Marooned Jam (Unreleased 1994 Recording) (previously unreleased)
  3. One Slip (2019 Remix) (new A Momentary lapse of Reason 2019 mix)
  4. Lost For Words (Tour Rehearsal 1994) (previously unreleased)
  5. Us And Them (Live, Delicate Sound Of Thunder) [2019 Remix] (new 2019 mix)
  6. Comfortably Numb (Live at Knebworth 1990) [2019 Mix] (previously unreleased)
  7. Sorrow (2019 Remix) (new A Momentary lapse of Reason 2019 mix)
  8. Learning To Fly (Live, Delicate Sound Of Thunder) [2019 Remix] (new 2019 mix)
  9. High Hopes (Early Version) [Unreleased 1994 Recording] (previously unreleased)
  10. On The Turning Away (2019 Remix) (new A Momentary lapse of Reason 2019 mix)
  11. Wish You Were Here (Live at Knebworth 1990) [2019 Mix] (previously unreleased)
  12. Run Like Hell (Live, Delicate Sound Of Thunder) [2019 Remix] (new 2019 mix)

What’s the 2-LP version going to retail at?

Dunno - around £22-£25 maybe?

I think I wasn’t being fair to AHM - I don’t mind the title track and sometimes play it to make a dull train journey go by. My real ‘target’ was Alan’s Psychedelic Breakfast; similarly with Ummagumma the live disk gets played, but I’ve only ever playes the studio disk once - I really do find it codswallop, but that’s personal opinion for you.

AMLOR reminds me of my student days (and all that entails) so sits better with me than it obviously does with Kevster, but I can hear what he doesn’t like about it and see his point of view. I think The Division Bell is a fair follow up to Obscured By Clouds; my biggest grumble about it is actually Gilmour’s guitar work which seems below par and to just peter off into nothingness on just about every track.

I think I’m the only person who likes Radio KAOS - like AMLOR it has a sense of ‘life’ to it that many 80s productions have/had and while they both may be seen now as failed experiments at least both sides tried to do something different. I still think I’d grade The Endless River as ‘Must try harder’

1 Like

No there’s two of us, it’s be a bit of a fav since it’s release. :+1:

You can make that three. Also really enjoyed the live show of the KAOS album at Wembley Arena, maybe helped by having fourth row tickets that we only got as returns at the last minute as originally we weren’t intending to go. Did the album live very well with the radio dj in a booth at the side of the stage with the full album interspersed with Floyd classics and Andy Fairweather Low doing a fine job on guitar.

1 Like