Hegel 190 impressions compared to SN3 and 282/250

In Sweden the Supernait 3 is 4091£ when using Morningstar for currency exchangerates.

The Hegel 190 is 2983£ same source for exchangerate. Don’t know the prices in other countries in Scandinavia.

All the best
Lucifer

Pricerunner.se tells me that the Hegel costs Kr 35,000 in sunny Sweden. The Supernait 3 costs Kr 48,000. That’s 37% more. Which is sort of like double if you treble it.

1 Like

Even in Scandinavia we have currency converter apps. Believe it or not, but it’s possible to convert our valuta to US dollars!

37% is closer to 40% than 33%.
40% is very close to 50%. 50x2=100%. It’s very simple. Even Einstein understand this simple math.

Last time I checked, the Naim Supernait 3 was 54.990 NOK (same price now). At the same time Hegel H190 was 32.995,- NOK (price is up now). Naim Uniti Nova was 62.990,- NOK (price is down now).

The Supernait 3 was 66% higher price than H190.
Then we have to remember streaming/DAC is included in H190. So it’s not half the price of course, but it’s a much cheaper amplifier. They’re not really playing in the same league. H390/H590 would be a better comparison, although the Supernait 3 would be hard to beat.

This thread is beginning to give a cable thread a run for its money :roll_eyes::flushed::joy:

12 Likes

Since everybody is going at it, thought I’d chime in on the Hegel. :grin:

Although the designer of Harbeth recommends and endorses Hegel amps for his speakers, citing they measure very well in comparison to other amps he tested in his lab, I would not consider one mainly because of the looks and build quality no matter how good it sounds. I have read in the reviews that the Hegel sounds soft and natural, something which I suspect will make the Harbeth sound even dull and dead, contrary to what the designer might believe.

On looks, the case of the Hegel looks cheap. The light grey plasticky looking case with cheap looking lines remind me of the budget NAD gear which look equally meh.

Apologies to existing Hegel or NAD owners but that’s what I thought.

I remember seeing a video interview from Hegel’s designer saying that their amps are neutral, and that the consumer can just buy the speaker brand which has a character that he or she likes.

Me, I don’t particularly care if an equipment is “neutral” or not. In this very subjective hobby of ours, who am I to judge if an equipment is neutral or not? Even if it’s “coloured”, if I like the sound, then that’s it.

3 Likes

Lol! Look what I started!

3 Likes

I know, right? Maybe there’s a full moon in the UK :sunglasses:

2 Likes

You don’t get it. In Yen, the SN3 is 546.307,70, while the Hegel is 2983£. Factor in the DAC, that puts the Hegel at 983£ (A Hugo TT is roughly 2 grand, right?). The SN3, of course, incorporates a phono stage, easily worth 487€ and a class A headphone amp worth 400,70$.

(546.307,70 - 487 - 400,70) / 983 = 2. Though it varies with the timezone of the currency, and whether you’re using 230V or 110V.

Please try to follow, HH :wink:

2 Likes

Hello,

Thought I’d join to comment on this thread which I’ve followed with interest.

I’m fortunate enough to own both a Naim 282/250/NDX2 system as well as a Hegel 390. Obviously both presentations are different, but both wonderful. The 390 is powerful, gin-clear, capable of wonderful soundstage, with instruments popping around the room. It’s robust, and actually beautifully built, albeit not to the same standard as Naim which is generally impeccable. No, it’s not in the same league as, say, Burmester, but the neither is the price. The dials for instance are somewhat on the cheaper side. The ergonomics are excellent with a lovely, clean, easy to read screen even from my chair. I’m actually using it with Neat Minstra’s in a second system and the two work brilliantly together. The inbuilt DAC is remarkably good and as a ‘package’ I’ve not heard better, and have gone through a few integrated amplifiers.

The Naim stack, particularly the 282/250, has been described a hundred times in multiple ways on the forum and elsewhere, so I’m sure there’s no need for me to wax lyrical about it. Needless to say I own it for a reason, but I enjoy my 390 in equal measure. Enjoying one doesn’t negate the enjoyment of the other.

With regards to the Far-East build. I have no issue with this and I’m surprised, in 2021, to find anyone who does. Passing judgement on a factory in China, who’s working conditions and staff one doesn’t know from Adam, because of dubious state politics is absurd. It shouldn’t, and doesn’t, matter where it’s built, so long as the quality is reflected in the price, which the 390 definitely is. The Naim supply chain is complex, and doubtless they sort some components from the Far East (although I really am not sure for certain, point being it doesn’t matter!).

Anyway, if you can listen to something in the Hegel range I’d encourage you to do so. It’s best to listen then opine, I think, because there’s little worse than unguided opinion which seems ever more commonplace!

Kind regards,

James

24 Likes

Looks just fine to me really, not better or worse than the Naim classic line.

7 Likes

Naim Classic amps have a robust and textured feel to it. Looks like solid metal in comparison to the plastic Hegel. If you look at the front face plate of the Naim, the centre piece has smooth finish whilst the side plates have a textured finish. Also, the design on the front are nice and clean. All this add to the classy and elegant looks of the Naim Classic amps.

The Hegel looks very different from the Naim to me.

I think i actually prefer the Hegel design more, it looks less dated to me than the Naim classic design. We don’t live in the nineteen eighties anymore after all.

However this to me looks better than both the options above:

4 Likes

The US listing price is without VAT I guess? At least that’s what’s normal in the US since you have different VAT depending on state you live in. That means an additional 3-7%.

“Upscale Audio charges sales tax for all orders to be delivered to addresses within the United States where Upscale Audio is considered to have a sales nexus.”

I would put:

• Uniti
  • Classic
  • Hegel

Not keen on the looks of the Hegel. Above the Hegel was compared to the NAD, which I would actually put between the Classic and Uniti.

Funny how perception varies. I had a Uniti before and i think i like the Classic Line most. The appeal of the Uniti range, while at first impressive and modern, did not last very long to my taste.

The Classic line for me is pretty timeless, while the two other designs will look dated in 10 years. Luckily Hegel got rid of their awful screen with the blue text they had couple of years ago.

Edit: forgot to add that i think the Hegel looks much better in white!

Looks and design aside, which is very subjective, there is just no comparison on the build quality. Specially with the Nova… Nova is just on a whole different level with the quality of materials, how nicely and solidly put together even if you compare to H590…

But I still have sympathy for the Hegel and mostly I like the design as well. If they improve their production quality with better materials for the case and get rid of the cheaply printed Hegel logo in front, it could be one of my favorite designs. My H190 was the last sold Hegel in my country which then for long time Hegel was not imported. Just recently they are re-entering the market again through another distributor and I will be home demoing the H390… but I still think regardless of wherever it is built, the quality is just not reflected on the price and the segment it competes with.

1 Like

I like the looks of Hegel, especially the white ones.

However, one thing with Hegel is that they don’t hold their value well. A second hand SN3 is only slightly cheaper than Hegel 390.

Welcome to the board @anon61795652 keep up the insightful posts.

2 Likes