Help needed with measuring my room with REW

I seem to remember your room plan being published here before and several of us chipping in with advice. You don’t seem to have implemented any of the advice you received at the time. If there is no willingness on your part to actually accommodate any change beyond a few ‘acoustic paintings’, please allow me to question, why you are bothering with all this? Peter

No need to be blue, Peter. There’s nothing wrong with someone researching the technical basis for their issue before going ahead and taking someones advice.

1 Like

That post was only 3 weeks ago, so no I didn’t implement or move forward yet and before starting construction I would like to make sure that it is indeed the right way forward. Not all of of jump right in and buy a bunch of bass traps and diffusers or have a dedicated listening room to play with.
A faux wall full of absorption + 9 - 12 acoustic paintings is in my opinion not “no willingness on your part to actually accommodate any change beyond a few ‘acoustic paintings’”.
If you don’t want to chip in that’s fine but why bash someone who is doing extensive research before spending a few thousand euros on room treatment. I like to make sure that that money is spent properly and not having to restart the whole process from scratch.

Hi mbear, so what do you feel should be done in said room please? Peter

I’ve offered a couple of opinions earlier in this thread

1 Like

I do apologise I missed that. ATB Peter

Good grief

1 Like

Hifi_Naim_CNNL - Is there a particular issue you are trying to resolve?
FWIW I have ProAc D20Rs and really like them but had a troublesome bass boom/overhang due to a room mode, on some tracks, but was able to sort out with UMIK1, REW, a clever convolution filter (DSP) and Roon (graph shows before and after DSP below).
I tried passive bass traps first which did enhance bass response but didn’t do a lot in sub bass area.
Your measurements do look similar to mine and as I say apart from my sub bass issue I think the Naim/ProAc combo sounds very good.
Enjoy.

3 Likes

I would like to improve the reverberation time and improve the bass response. With music the bass is not too bad though but I’m sure it can be tighter. With movies it can be boomy at times.
At times my room can become a bit over lively also.

Reverberation time around mids and upper mids is affected by hard surfaces… soft furnishings and curtains are key to controlling this.

Interestingly restaurants can suffer from this, if they have too many hard surfaces in the dining rooms, the reverb level goes up, and customers have to talk louder to be understood by their companions at the table due to the reverb interference… and goes into a vicious circle… so you then see restaurants put acoustic panels on walls and ceilings, though often decorated so you don’t know what they are unless looking for them.

2 Likes

Darko has a written an article on reverberation time recently that would be of interest to you. I’m not familiar with your method of taking measurements but when I ran a sweep decay, RT60 decay, decay, waterfall all provided helpful data on this.
The frequency response does not look over lively/bright and as I say looks good - enjoy :blush:.

1 Like

With regards to reverberation time, this is what I got from a measurement with a starter shot. It probably is a bit better at the listening position as this is an average of the whole room where they also took measurements in the dining area and kitchen.

Orange is the line for my room.

Some bars and restaurants can be a horrible experience. I never understood why until I started exploring acoustics.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.