Help on speakers

Well definitely was in the cabinet. Has obviously been there from new and the travel to the new home I guess must have caused the compass to move and itself known. A celestial gift from the makers that Sam has decided to do without!

So it was for my GCSE, 50 years ago ! Couldnā€™t they come up with an alternative mowadays ???

A horridly boring book for a 15 year old to have to read, back in 1973. But then again I feel the same at 65ā€¦

50 years ago, that would have been an O Level, not a GCSE!

Thereā€™s a large range of texts that teachers can choose from - no single text is compulsory, to my understanding. I donā€™t think LotF is terribly popular these days, but that might just be in the schools I have knowledge of.

Mark

1 Like

The first sign he has inherited the audiophile gene. A proud moment for any father.

G

3 Likes

They were known by the term GCSE O levels. Surprisingly, especially for the teachers, I managed to get a few of them.

If I remember correctly there were CSEs as well. O levels and CSEs were both replaced by GCSEs?

1 Like

Yes, O levels were GCE, replaced later by GCSE.

2 Likes

Nearly. O Levels were the lowest level of the General Certificate of Education (GCE) and were aimed at the upper end of the ability range. The lower end was covered by the separate Certificate of Secondary Education (CSE).

The last year O Levels and CSEs were sat in the UK was 1987, following which both were replaced by the single General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) which was (is) intended to cover the whole ability range.

The other levels of the GCE beyond O(rdinary) Level were A(dvanced) and S(pecial) Levels. S levels gradually withered due to lack of interest until the 2000 reforms to post-16 education. A shame, because they contained some genuinely challenging stuff.

Mark

1 Like

I took one of the first trial GCSE exams in 1976 for Geography. All the remaining exams were either GCE or CSE.

DGā€¦

I have an AS level, which I did as an extra subject during the first year of my A levels.

1 Like

Why do so many threads seem to devolve into chest beating. Silly Egoā€™s

Whatā€™s an S between friends :grin:

1 Like

Perhaps the previous owner considered stuffing a sock in there like most do, but took a more scientific and technical approach.

Only one owner (me). Maybe Celestion put one in the other speaker but it has not yet revealed itself :slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.