Help. The nas is off! But nobody turned it off

I have DS 718 +

Andrea, your NAS was shutting down because you had “Abilita spegnimento automatico” (automatic shutdown) enabled. When this is enabled the NAS will shut down after the set time period when the disks have been hibernated for the specified hibernation time.

When the NAS has shutdown like this it is possible to wake it up using the Wake On LAN (WOL) feature, whereby you send the NAS a “magic packet” over the network which the NAS interprets as a wake up request and it then restarts. This is almost certainly not what you want and this feature is not enabled by default. Now that it is turned off you shouldn’t have further problems.

With just disk hibernation set you should see and hear the drives spin down after the set period of inactivity, after which the blue power light will go off and the green status LED will pulse on and off. When a process triggers disk activity the drives will automatically spin up and the NAS should continue running as normal. Note that the fans will continue running while the drives are hibernated.

1 Like

However, I can’t understand why this automatic shutdown was activated for months and it never went out and probably never hibernated!

Andrea. To solve your problem go to Synology Account and follow the procedure

Already done immediately last night. They haven’t answered yet. Today then I discovered that with Unitiserve turned on the Synology does NOT go into hibernation anymore! Is absurd.

This is not absurd, as I said in my previous post, please be aware there are many other NAS functions & settings that over-ride hibernation. The ‘other’ settings are network or wireless activity that can prevent or interrupt NAS hibernation.
So I ask again, why do you have a US on your system when you have the Synology, if its only purpose is to rip CD’s, turm it off until you need it for that purpose

Thanks for your interest Mike. Luckily you’re here, help me again as long as you can. In fact it is not that it is a serious problem that unitiserve does NOT hibernate synology. Then I trust you that unitiserve is connected with category 6 Q&D cable to the Cisco Catalyst 2960 CG swich and also synology DS 718+ to the same Cisco swich but with category 7 Melco cable. Do I have to change the port on the Unitiserve cable swich? I do not know. I tell you that I keep it on because I think it has good software for listening to music, I do a few rips of CDs unlike many. I will probably turn it off much more often … I am also thinking of taking a ubiquiti unifi ac ap pro to be joined by Apple’s airport extreme to see if the latter is to blame for some detachments or interference. Unfortunately, on unitiserve I cannot put files, photos and films and therefore I use different NAS. Unitiserve software or its power supply or the entry of the swicht will have some impediments … Who knows.?

My advise Andrea is to spend a lot more time learning about computer & networks first
The cables & switches & other components you list are nothing in your situation, you are in danger of spending money (again) with expensive equipment that will not help you: forget the Ubiquiti, the boutique cables, the big Cat numbers & programmable switches & get the basics done correctly first, then move on.
I don’t understand what you mean by good software for listening to music, yesterday you said it stopped every few minutes. A US software is no better than the Synology, its a data stream over UPnP/DLNA.
You really do not need a US, but yes I can understand why you keep it if because you already have it & now all you want is use it to rip CD’s, but apart from that it is not required (CD’s can be ripped easier & more flexibly with a laptop or deck computer DVD drive)
Sorry, but my first sentence is where I advise you start from, with a simple basic system - just like I have

Disable everything. If you need to switch off your NAS for “ energy saving ,“ go to programmazione accensione it’s a far better option.

Maybe I don’t know that he sends me to hibernation, the synology is that I have on the app N - serves the "keep the connection that he has, who has unitiged how he keeps this automatic connection?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.