Help with Downloading to Core. Please!

This may seem a very silly question, and yes, I have searched the forum but cannot find anything that helps. I have only ever ripped CD’s to my Core - Just over 2000. All good, I have an M1 Mac that sees the Core on the Network and I can also use the Naim APP to edit Metadata etc. The latest LORDE album arrived yesterday, but no CD inside just a link to download the album. That’s easy enough and playable from the Mac, but how on earth do I get this on to the Core and merge with my library? Guessing one for @davidhendon
Thank you in advance for which I assume will be a very simple answer.
Nick.

You should be able to map a drive from your map (command-k in finder). I use SMB to access my Core, and the connection string looks something like smb://ip.address.of.core/ (e.g. smb://192.168.1.51/ ). You’ll be able to press return after the ip address, and you should see the Core drives there. Leave the brackets ( ) out of the command

You’ll be able to see the store drive. In the store folder you’ll see a “downloads” folder - if you copy the folder with your Lorde album there, it’ll get integrated into the Core database

1 Like

Thank you @JonoB - Will try that later when home. Appreciated.

Just download the file as usual, which will then be in your downloads folder. Then move or copy it to the Core download folder which is visible as a drive as you note and it should be visible in the app after a minute or to. Sometimes you need to rename the cover art file if it’s not showing to the default, which is cover.jpeg I think.

1 Like

Thank you also @Mike_S

1 Like

There’s not much I need to add! You don’t need complicated paths or commands. You can navigate to the downloads folder with your MacBook. If you are asked for connection credentials you can either connect as a guest or use nothing as both username and password, ie leave both fields blank. Then just copy and paste the downloaded files there.

Regarding album art the one that definitely works is folder.jpg and you need to make sure the artwork size is less than about 1200x1200 pixels. I find cover.jpg doesn’t work these days, but frontcoverart.jpg does I think.

The Core will automatically scan changes you make to the downloads folder. It may take it a couple of minutes or so to get round to this. And after it has done that, the album will appear in your Core album database without you needing to do anything in particular.

This is all covered after a fashion in the online support guide for the Core, but you have in this thread everything you need to know.

Best

David

2 Likes

All done - Thank you all.

1 Like

I can copy downloads to the Core without any trouble. However, a few show really weirdly in the Naim app. This includes the artist being wrong, tracks with wrong names, artwork missing etc. I can fix the artwork fine but can anyone recommend any “tagging” software (for Mac) that is easy to use and will let me fix the errors with the downloads?

I suspect it is however the download has been tagged by the originator (most of the ones with errors are from independent artists who release their own stuff).

With stuff in the downloads folder, the Core can only work with the metadata is is given. I think the metadata editor recommended most often for Mac is Metadatics, but @ChrisSU could confirm or otherwise.

Best

David

1 Like

Yes, I find Metadatics great for editing on a Mac. It’s not free, but for a one-off payment of a few pounds it’s good value and easy to use.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.