Help With Speaker Wires

Yes ,but the NacA4 and NacA5 are designed by Naim.
Linn asked the company to make a cable like the NacA4 with their Logo on it,without asking Naim,the story says.

If you need to gather up an excess length of 4m on one side, I would not buy NACA5 due it being very stiff and unwieldy.

Consider Witch Hat N2. Designed to sound just like NACA5 but is flexible. Relatively cheap new and should be easy to find used.

1 Like

For an Atom I wouldn’t bother with anything more than QED Silver anniversary. Works perfectly well with my Nait5si and is half the price of even used Nac A5. Of course, if you need the exercise, wrestling with ornery speaker cable can be fun.

Better to buy the real deal ,NacA5 from start,then you get better sound, you don’t have upgrade in the future and you save the planet and money.

1 Like

Once you’ve beaten it into submission :joy:

I don’t share this view that NACA5 is inflexible or stiff. Lighting style flex it certainly is not, but as a cable, terming it “stiff” is misleading.
The definition of stiff ”is not easily bent or changed in shape; rigid.” Naim speaker cable can easily be dressed.

It does require some patience, but it is imho easily achieved. Either use a former or a trick sparkies use is to take a pair of pliers, hold in reverse, placing the cable between the handles and alter the angle and a nice action, with a little practice, can achieve the desired shape.
Important is to ensure the cable is warm, either a hairdryer, electric heat gun or even placed on a suitable heat source - don’t overdue it.
I have used it for >20 years, some much newer. Naturally it well suits Naim systems, which is why it should have full consideration. Used is frequently available, just ensure solder joints are sound or have them redone, it makes a difference.

Finally to the OP @Shanna I haven’t seen mention in this thread, that there is a good section in the FAQs if you haven’t already read it.

1 Like

I heard that it was originally a cable designed for site festoon lighting!

Bit more to it. NAC A4 was designed by Naim and made by BICC. Linn - and I think, Exposure, got BICC to make effectively the same cable (as A$) but for them. Naim were not impressed and lawyers were hired. BICC paid up - and Naim used the money to fund the design of NAC A5 - which is not made by BICC…

AFAIK… :thinking:

3 Likes

Not sure I’d call NAC A5 the “best to use with any Naim amplifier” but it’s surely a very safe bet without going into the esoteric (and costly) regions.
Plenty available pre-loved, as said.

£10 to £35 p/m over 30+ years seems pretty good to me. My LP12 cost £349+/- in the early 80’s.

1 Like

In 1981/2, my NAC A4 leads were £1 per metre and my Linn LP12 was £340 (less arm).

1 Like

The LinnK20 is a great cable and sold at a reasonable price .

I purchased it earlier this year to connect my Uniti with Quad S4 speakers.
One satisfied customer.

1 Like

Yeah, I started off with A4 too! Still got em up in the loft, will swap out my SL one day just to see :grinning:

1 Like

I have only just swapped to A5 - from A4… Not broken, so…

2 Likes

I remember loving A5 when I changed.
Then I got tempted by TQ Black II and…here I am!

Spectre on the way to see how it is vs SL.

Slippery slope!

I’m not even considering for one second the penury that would be caused by Music…

1 Like

No commercial or sales links here in the HiFi corner. Thanks.

2 Likes

I have 3 sets of cables mentioned above on my main system. NACA5 from speakers to speaker switch. Then Witchhat N2 from switch to 2 x 135s. Then I have long runs of Linn K20 going from switch to conservatory. The switch enables me to listen to my main system in 2 separate rooms. The speakers are alot cheaper in the conservatory and I was not prepared to spend a fortune on over 20 metres of speaker cable.

I also have NACA5 on my sons system.

NACA5 is the real deal. Witchhat N2 is a bit cheaper and more flexible. Linn K20 is ideal for long runs and on a budget. All 3 cables have the correct capacitance and values to work safely with Naim amps.

2 Likes

It’s inductance that’s most important with Naim amps as it provides the output stage loading.
Linn K20 publish their specs & its spot on, we have to take WH’s word for N2 as they don’t publish the specs

2 Likes

Thanks @Mike-B. I will remember that.

Well done, Linn. Poor show, Pointy Hat…

1 Like

I the almost 4 decades that I’ve been in this hobby, the most immediate, easily discernable, even eye opening upgrade that I’ve made was going from K20 to WH Phantom. As much as I despise hyperbole, I have no other way to describe it.