Hi Res streaming on Muso 1st Gen

Where are the hi-res files you are trying to play?

Streaming from either Tidal (via the native app) or Qobuz (via UPNP via MConnect).

So a USB stick won’t help you but a wired connection between your router and the MuSo as suggested certainly might. Have you tried it?

Thanks very much Paul. Yes, the muso is wired by Ethernet to the router. I think I may just have to be content with 44.1 unless I get a NAS or something capable of streaming to the Muso over the network wired via UPNP.

Given that many people with far better kit find the difference with hi res is very small and sometimes none, (except when a different mastering, when it effectively a different version), it is questionable whether you’d hear any difference with the much more limited sound of the Muso so perhaps it is not worth fretting too much about.

2 Likes

Mconnect streaming Hires to a QB 1.

You’re absolutely right. I think I’ve ended up in one of those classic tech situations where I am thinking “it ought to be able to do this, so I want it to” and obsessing about it, rather than being pragmatic about the actual benefit I’ll get from it.

I’m doing the same thing with my Control4 to AVR at the moment, which is stuck on 48khz input despite it being rated for higher when streaming Qobuz. I think I’ll just have to let it go.

Much appreciated all of you.

It really should work. I presume you have a Qobuz Studio or Sublime hi-res subscription?

In my experience both the “nas” (if you had one) and streaming should both work in a similar way.
If you have a streaming issue it may be your Internet or router. What quality/speed is it, how old is it and is it performing well?
(I had a 20 year old fibre which lost its speed. The Virgin engineer replaced a connector in the street and a splitter in the house. This restored the speed although even this issue had not impacted upon my streaming service). Also do your tests outside the 4pm-6pm busy period.
Are there any settings on M-Connect that are limiting/transcoding down your stream?

Yep I have Qobuz Sublime. It shows as 96khz on the app.

The internet isn’t fast (35 megs), as we are rural, but is stable. We stream 4K video and hi res audio on other apps fine. I have had Ethernet put all over the house so that as little as possible of the speed we do have is lost to WiFi. I have only had this buffering issue using Mconnect via iPhone. It plays for 5 seconds, drops from 100% to 20% then goes back up and keeps dropping in and out. It is the same whether casting it to my AVR or my Muso.

There don’t appear to be any customisable settings on MConnect. It just seems to struggle to communicate with the Qobuz server. It was only £5.99 so I’ll probably give up on it.

Thank you for your help.

There’s nothing to customise. Connect to Qobuz and play.
Try it on another device instead of a shonky iPhone. :grin:

If you also have an Android tablet try BubbleUPnP. I find it great and enables Qobuz streaming to a MuSo 1st gen (which I understand the Naim native app cannot do). You can trial it for free.

There are options to restrict the stream to 24/96 or 24/48 if you find your Internet cannot cope but gets you into the hi-res band. Suggest you try it unrestricted first.

1 Like

Again you raise a valid point! :joy:

1 Like

I thought this might be good advice.
So I downloaded mconnect lite on my iphone 5.
This is as old and as shonky as iphones get and this model is also recognised as having poor wi-fi. ( I have already switched off all background activities I can find!).

However although the app performed like a dog (every action was so slow) I was able to stream Fleetwood Mac/Rumours. Bill Evan/Portrait of Jazz and Ella Fitzgerald/Lost Berlin Tapes from Qobuz all in 24/96 and none of them missed a beat.

This might suggest your Internet is the problem. Although 35mbs is not fast I would have expected it to be generally OK. Suggest you chase up your ISP and ask them to investigate. Who is your ISP?

1 Like

There’s no inherent 48k limit in the Qb’s hardware. I think that number is given as a guide by Naim as to the most you can expect on an average wifi connection. I can stream 24/192 to my first gen Qb wirelessly with no issues (albeit from a nearby Ubiquiti AC Pro access point). It should have no problem at all with hi-res on a wired connection.

1 Like

Thanks Paul. I have got MConnect working now. No buffering. I don’t know what was causing it but whatever it was it is now fine! I haven’t changed anything so perhaps my network was just slow for some reason.

EDIT: argh literally as I type this it has started buffering every 20 seconds. I managed the whole of the new Faithless album without this happening but at 96khz for Rumours it is doing it. Speedtest.net shows 30 down 5 up, ISP is NowTV (i.e. Sky). I wonder if the difficulty is produced because my iphone connects to our TP-LInk Deco mesh network… The QB is connected wired to the network switch, which is connected to the main Deco (which is connected to the Router).

I also downloaded the Qobuz app to play via UPNP over the network as it is wired, so thought this would remove a point of failure (i.e. wifi) but it can’t find the QB…

You can’t use the Qobuz app directly?

The Qb downsamples internally for WiFi streams.

Which app? PC or iOS? I can use iOS but it’s Airplay. PC won’t find the QB despite it being visible on my network and I can search my music folder from the Naim iOS app.

Qobuz on the PC won’t connect to the QB.

If it Airplay (not Airplay 2) that is CD 16/44.1 max I understand so avoid it.