Hi Res streaming on Muso 1st Gen

Thanks very much. That’s a good idea. I’ve always found my apple products a bit sketchy when it comes to streaming.

I pay for 40 and get 35 I think. Distance to the cabinet etc. Waiting for Virgin but no plans apparently.

Thanks for this thread!

My Muso Qb was running over WiFi in my home office, and using Roon via Airplay. I hadn’t realised it might be limited.

I have now run a wire between server and QB and reconfigured it to ditch WiFi. I am fortunate that my server runs Sonore Bridge (to feed Roon to my 272) and it’s as easy as toggling a switch in the Sonore Bridge software to get it to stream at Hi Res to either the 272 or Qb.

Ah! You may spy my other thread asking about Roon I posted earlier.

You may have to get seriously layman with me. So your Sonore solution is just a software? What server do you have?

I realised that Roon would be the best way for me to get hi res to all of my systems at once. I think I’ll need two Roon endpoints, one connected to the Denon AVR and one connected to my Muso. Maybe I’ll need another for the QB unless it can then talk to the other Muso.

I’ll also need a Roon core. I was thinking of getting an Intel Nuc and kitting it out but I am not an electronics kind of guy. Maybe I’ll save up for a Roon Nucleus, as one could easily slot next to my Control4 EA1 and Denon.

Any tips would be helpful as there seem to be a million ways to skin this cat but all are highly nuanced.

Thanks!

The Sonore UPnP Bridge is a little box that you plug into your network, which allows a UPnP streamer to be used with Roon if doesn’t have native Roon support.
There are ways to do this in software using LMS, which is a bit more of a faff to set up, but may still be a good option.
You can run the Roon Core on a wide variety of devices. If you already have a Mac, PC, powerful NAS or whatever, you may not need a dedicated box for it.

The Sonore UPnP Bridge is a device that allows old Naim (and other devices) to appear in Roon as Squeezebox devices. Like this:

However the small box that sits on the network to provide this interface as mentioned by @ChrisSU is not what I use. What Chris is describing is something that provides the interface only. What I have is an Audiostore server that acts as Roon Core/ Endpoint and also has the Sonore Bridge software built in. To switch between my devices is as easy as opening the app on the server and selecting the renderer, like this:

Apparently I can stream to my TV, but I’ve not tried that!

Hope this helps

That is ace. Thank you both so much.

Having said that about Roon, investing in it just to stream at hi-res to a Muso is massively expensive unless you already have a Roon Core, in which case it is still expensive as you would still need a bridging solution (there are DIY options, but they look quite difficult to me) and Roon subscription. You might not hear any difference as others have already said. However if you like Roon then it may be worth it for that reason.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.