HiCap DR or other

I sometimes hear a slight hum but it tends to happen when I’m not listening to music. Phew.

I think it depends on how you integrate the CD5si
If you follow the alternative path and connect to the SN3 with decent RCA cables you might be surprised.
People seem to dismiss it as a source, I’m very happy with mine, and certainly would not pay more for a cd player
Also, definitely add a HiCap, very valuable upgrade

The same thing happens to me, but there must be a way to eliminate it.
For now I either turn off the Supernait or put it on mute

I’ve currently removed the CD5si, so it’s something else. The problem is that the rustling in the speakers is continuous, I will try to move the HiCap, I don’t want there to be a conflict between the transformers.

Luckily for me it’s pretty faint. I tend to hear in the mornings but I don’t let it bother me.

When I had my CDSi it sounded great with Nait 5Si. With improved amplification it didn’t sound as good as my other sources. It was behind the ND5XS at the time. I changed it out for CDS2 and XPS back then. It’s a case of a source that costs £1300 versus one which costed £7000 when new. It’s about system synergy and matching amp with source. On my system now a weaker source is so revealing. So different cabling won’t turn it into something else.

Don’t get me wrong it’s a lovely player and in the right system it will sound wonderful. When I went 82 2 Hicaps and 250 CB it sounded bright and not right.

If you have got it to sound great and are happy with it, that’s all that matters.

2 Likes

The basic Linn tonearm is a weak link as I see it (a Hicap/DR will reveal this clearly)
Sort out source first, as always.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.