HiCap DR replacement?

Surely Naim’s entry system won’t cost over £10,000?

1 Like

It is an upgrade to the SN3 though. Well, it was…

True. However, there will doubtless be a number of secondhand HICAPs entering the market over the coming months and years as owners upgrade or update to the New Classics.

They could have simply called it npx rather than npx300. Why align it as a 300 series unit when it works with 200 series units? Unless there will be a “lesser” npx named with the 200 series. I couldn’t afford one same as the xps dr is too much.

Unfortunately Mike ( for me as one out there ) the NPX300 is not compatible with the current Superline Phono as advised.

Either that’s the end of naim phono production or a model to emerge in the future that is compatible with the 300

I have my doubts that will happen

The NPX300 can power the phono stage that came with the Solstice and I recall it being said that a new phono stage based on the Solstice one is imminent (even in product listings).

Could be but whether at the level of superline quality who knows

Based on new classic prices so far if it did come to fruition it would cost the earth

I’ll probably make some decisions before it sees the light of day

Not sure if it means very much but a used Solstice phono stage and PSU sold on UK eBay recently for £1600 ish. Not that the market at any particular moment in time accurately reflects value and/or quality, but might indicate it’s not quite at Superline level.

I’m aware my argument is very flawed! Just thought it was interesting how much it went for.

Yes, I’ve come to the conclusion that the new classic range is out of my pay grade, and will stick where I’m at. My only feasible option would be a very cheap used ND555 now, but more than happy with the NDX2. Might fine tune the motor and add a PS for the old Rega Planar 3 though.

1 Like

Thanks yes - it’s no where near the SQ of the Superline

1 Like

Agree - go for the tweaking of the Rega

Either that or a Linn LP12 ha :crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:

1 Like

The NPX 300 cannot power the phono stage and will not power the one that is coming either. The 222 can power it directly so I would assume that is the case with all the new pre amps as well?

1 Like

Naim need to stop making Hicaps now. Im down to just 5 now ( 2 dr and 3 olive). This will help push their second hand price right up!

2 Likes

What i don’t understand is why the new NPX 300 can’t power the solstice phono but can power the motor unit of the solstice. ?

Nor me but that is what Steve said in the main thread

The Solstice phono stage needs +/- 18v which the NPX300 can’t supply.

1 Like

I didn’t said that you said it, but thought you knew the response. As the NPX 300 goal is to power all the new classic range, I find it’s strange it can’t power the Solstice phono. As the solstice phono will be sold separately very soon, if I remember well.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.