Hicap , how does it do it’s job.?

That’s very helpful, thanks

I would try a HCDR before considering any second hicap.

Naim’s DR development has to be experienced imo.

1 Like

Christopher I was wondering you and also to the other delsito according to you how you see a Flat Cap XS that directly connects two Naim devices sounds better Hi Cap DR that powers only one and costs even less.
Flat Cap XS seems to me to be able to directly power ND5 XS2 and Naim XS3.
On naim XS series site they give it as an ideal partner Flat Cap XS for streaming and XS3.
Finally, ND5XS2 can also be connected with XS2 which does not have a phono input.
Let me know greetings Marco.

I don’t think a FlatCap XS can be used on ND5XS2. It can be used on a NaitXS and the discontinued CD player, CD5XS (and some of the preamps).

When I had a NaitXS and CD5XS, I added a FlatCap XS and it gave a nice upgrade to my system. But the improvement was pretty subtle and at the current cost of £1k in the UK I’m not convinced of its value for money.

Roger

I use an 82 with 2 (Olive) HiCaps. Works well… IMO…

2 Likes

The ND5XS2 cannot use an external power supply.

Hi Marco,

The FCXS is a great power supply within the context of an XS system. It will power two items such as a CD5Xs and a Nait XS3.

I am not suggesting that the FCXS is a better supply than a HCDR. It depends on context.

Best, Chris

1 Like

Ah yes but there’s another factor, Naim fairy dust. By this I mean not just the pure technical side in a way. I was in the factory once and was put in my place by Mr JV. Watching a hicap being wired i casually said “if you route the wiring in a shorter way you’d save meters of cable”

Response “yeh we tried many wiring layouts, they all sound worse”

Naim attention to detail.

Martin

3 Likes

Hmm … well that didn’t stop them revising the wiring layout over the years :wink:

2 Likes

The HiCap allows a user to use two power amps. You could go non active passive mode. One power amp to send signal to the tweeter terminal and another poweramp to the woofer terminal to a speaker with this facility - yes ?
Forgive me, but this isn’t a set up I’m familiar with looking at many Naim user systems.
Is there a clear reason why ? Or are you all missing out on utilising those four terminals so prevalent on today’s speakers ?

Yes, you could use the output sockets to facilitate passive bi-amping. However, any benefits of passive bi-amping are likely marginal compared to upping the ante by utilising the extra expense differently - say, instead putting it towards the source, pre-amp or even just a better power amp.

Of course, active bi-amping is something else entirely…

1 Like

Hello I was asking for further advice from all of you who consider experts much more than me.
Remaining in the XS series it is better to connect to Harbet HLP3 ESR 84 db speakers of sensitivity XS2 70 w per channel or the separate pre and final Nac 152 XS and Nap 155 XS which has as power 60 w per channel. The two separate frames cost more than the integrated XS3.
In your opinion, as a musical quality, the sound is better than that of the integrated or that of the two separate frames, albeit entry-level.

Morning @marco1 , I had a NAIT XS with my CD5XS. I replaced the Nait with a NAC152XS and NAP155XS. This superb combination was a good improvement, showing exactly what Naim do best, according to their long established principles.

With both amplifiers there was a FCXS. When used with the NAC152XS, it was only used on upgrade 1.

I then bought a pair of speakers (see profile) with a similar spec to yours. A NAP200DR followed to fantastic effect. The DR really lifts the preamp. The FCXS is still only on upgrade 1. I’ve rambled but I think I answered your question in my third sentence.

C.

1 Like

If a Stageline is connected to the Aux input of a Nait, and the Nait has a HiCap, does this mean that the Stageline is also getting its power from the HiCap?

The Stageline benefits but it’s not quite the same as a dedicated HICAP on the Stageline as the HICAP powers the NAIT’s pre-amp which also includes the AUX2 powering the Stageline.

1 Like

@Richard.Dane I know the discussion of non Naim power sources is strictly verboten. What about the complete reverse scenario?

I ask because quite a few turntables take 24v DC in. I can’t be the only person looking at my spare HCdr and my 24v turntable thinking this.

There are probably some potential issues using a Naim power supply on something for which it was not designed. If the Naim power supply caused damage or vice versa.

2 Likes

So paraphrasing, don’t ask; don’t tell; don’t go whining to anyone if you do it and it ends in tears.

Definitely wouldn’t risk damaging a DR module as not sure it would be quite as robust as a 317 (maybe but we don’t know). Even a 317 isn’t able to handle certain conditions- especially where there’s a possibility of a back kick from something (like a motor for instance).

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.