HiFi Cafe or Jazz Kisa in Tokyo

I am heading to Tokyo for a few days next week on my way to spend a month on Kyushu. While in Tokyo my wife and I would like to visit a HiFi Cafe or Jazz Kisa. We are staying in the Akasaka district, not too far from the New Otani Hotel. Does anyone have any recommendations of places we can visit? It is difficult to find them online.

1 Like

Nice opportunity :+1: You could check YouTube, there are some videos from places in Tokyo. I also watched some videos of buying vinyl in Shibuya, looked like paradise to me :wink:
Have fun

1 Like

Long time since I was in Tokyo - the days of Wave Records in Roppongi.

Tower Records in Shibuya is there last time I checked and it is well worth a visit.

When I was there the filing of albums took a while to get used to - maybe not an issue now as my Naim app uses the same format.

For example, if you are browsing through and looking for Elton John say he will be filed under ‘E’ rather than ‘J’

2 Likes

I shall be doing similar soon.

Check out this site for options:

3 Likes

Thanks! We are going to have a grand time. We’ll keep checking out YouTube.

1 Like

Thanks for the reminder to check out an actual record store - we will put Tower Records on our list of places to visit. It’s funny how record stores used to be top of my list for places to visit in cities I was travelling to 30 years ago.

2 Likes

What a great site! Thanks so much for pointing me to it. Fantastic photographs. There are many helpful suggestions of places we will try and check out. These Jazz cafes in Tokyo seem to be an endangered species.

3 Likes

Tower Records in Shibuya is still there - was there last November before they renovated and expanded the vinyl section.

They still have a great jazz section - I was looking at the CD section and it’s still very well stocked compared to where I live.

4 Likes

Thanks for the confirmation - I’ll be sure to check it out.