Hifi Insurance

In my experience it’s fine using standard home insurance contents cover (Aviva, LV etc) unless you have an item that is in excess of a certain value (in my case £15k). They then start getting twitchy. I ended up doing all house contents including the hifi with Hiscox who don’t impose a value threshold.

FYI, in my case, Aviva didn’t blink on this - it was one of the many questions on my extensive due diligence list!

No scheduling required.

1 Like

Crikey! Some of you have amazingly cheap insurance!

Mine renews at beginning of year. At renewal Jan 2017 my M&S insurance renewal quote (buildings + contents combined) jumped about 30%, at £732. Inquiring why (I’ve claimed nothing since £300 in 1982) I was told it was a combination of general price increases due to claims like flooding etc, and our postcode’s rating had been revised. The only reason for latter I can see is that there was a spate of burglaries locally in early 2016, that included two in my road (though not my house). we were previously classed as a low risk area, and that was recategorised - although generally this is considered to be a low crime area, as I live in a semi-rural location on an island - the sort of place where many people don’t bother locking house or cars - and apparently that burglary spree was a gang from offIsland taking advantage of that.

I did quite a big trawl of other insurers, and found prices that were not sufficiently different to change. I just trawled through emails and I still have some prices: Hiscox £770, JL £672. IIRC JL required us to have annual valuations on jewellery over a quite low threshold, which would have added a significant valuation fee, narrowing the difference.

Renewal beginning of this year was £818.

I will do a big trawl again this time.

Same here. Made it clear what the most expensive box was and was told explicitly that it was covered.

yes i was paying a broker quite a bit of money for an Aviva home contents policy to cover everything . just under 400 quid a year. Each year i ask if i have to specify each item and they say its just valuables like jewelery etc that needs specifying

In the end i bypassed the broker and went direct to aviva and it was about 25% of the cost of going through a broker. I live in the highest cost area you can get !!

A good tip I have learned over my 45 odd years as a house owner is never to auto renew any insurance whether it be for the house or car. I always ring my current provider, Aviva in my case, as they usually try to whack the price up by about £40, and ask if that price is the best they can offer before I look elsewhere and they usually come back with a quote that is within a pound or so of the current year’s premium for example mine went from £357 to £358 for unlimited buildings and contents… result for a five minute call! (4 bed detached with double garage in the Norwich area).

Comparing cost of insurance plans with someone else is mostly useless, because rates vary widely and are largely affected by location and other factors, at least that’s the case for the U.S. What I pay really has little to do with what someone else in a forum pays, even if we have identical equipment and coverage.

I’m sure that last time I trawled (see my last post), Aviva had been one of those picked up from one of the ‘compare’ websites I’d used, and hadn’t been cheaper that or sufficiently so to change. I’ve just requested a quick quote, and they have come out at £400 for the cover I want which is a lot lower. Whether that os an Aviva change, or highlighting an issue with the compare websites, I don’t know…

Hiscox won’t give a quote online and require a call to follow up giving details.

When M&S put up theirs by 30% I did, and they wouldn’t budge, hence the quotes I had sought elsewhere. My travel insurance I queried when it renewed last month, same outcome.

Unlucky it seems as my car insurance is with M&S and they certainly brought my renewal cost down when I called them.

amazing i wonder why the difference , mine is less than a quarter of that

Insurance is all about location, and less about what is insured.

1 Like

Funny thing to get car insurance for a youngster in our area is utterly prohibitive !!! perhaps it has something to do with the very high number of uninsured drivers in our city !

you could buy 2 naim sn3 with the cost of the premium

Another useful tip, try adding a parent name to your youngster’s policy as a named driver, it might bring down the cost I have found.

Same here, never claimed but getting pricey, will report back

Seeing as my latest hifi related purchase has now pushed it’s total value to 25K!!! I thought I’d check my policy… turns out unlimited buildings and contents @ £300pa (£25pm). This is with Aviva. However items with a value over 5K have to be mentioned so I’ll have to see about adding the new DAC.

thanks , yes we did that and it reduced by about 800 pounds . at the moment the only way he can get a car is to move to a cheaper area . !! 5.5k is just not happening

items of HI FI over 5k do not have to be mentioned with Aviva , i ask them every year and i had amps of 15k value and speakers of 16k value then

2 Likes

What car is it? Is it lower insurance group model??

I was told the same by Aviva.

1 Like