Hifi shops closed?

Can you explain what do you mean by herd epidemy Sam?
Herd means troupeau ( like a herd of cows) ?

I will not be surprised to see a lot of ex demo components at good prices in the future days.

Yes indeed - he is converting a demo to a sale, at a very good price so I’m happy.

I will purchase like that also. But prefer not to say what, to not loose it . Saw some good affairs.

Advice please
I paid a 10%deposit on a nd5 xs2 2 weeks ago
I am not sure if I will now be able to afford it as I am self employed and may not be able to work for the foreseeable future
Am I obliged to see the sale through or can I back out
Do you know where I stand legally ?
Thanks guys

Where you stand legally is probably not the most important thing. Just ask your dealer.

“Herd immunity”, “immunitĂ© collective” in French, the assumption being that, once 60% or 70% of the population have had the disease, then the virus stops spreading. But a lot of damage can be caused in the meantime, which is why Italy, France, Spain have decided against it.

1 Like

Absolutely. “Legally” is the last resort. (And of course depends on where you live. Some places you could “legally” lose the deposit. But many dealers understand that that would be the last money they’d ever see from you, and would be loathe to do that.)

Normally, if the dealer didn’t opened the nd5xs2, or received it yet, he can cancel your purchase or return your item, and refund your deposit.
At least my dealer and a lot of honest dealers.

I fear the penny hasn’t dropped for some people yet. We are going to go through some very drastic times and if the government doesn’t pledge serious support for both businesses and individuals very soon the consequences will be severe. We spent billions propping up financial institutions a decade ago, now the same will have to be done for everyone that needs it.

3 Likes

Our regular trip to Verdun and Vauquois is postponed this year, too. Even my friends with private museums are keeping their doors locked to even the smallest groups for the next weeks and months.

I would love to go back to Verdun Leggit. I went over 40 years ago and it left a strong impression on me. There were no Zone Rouge restrictions then and walking in some of those woods was a haunting experience to this 15 year old. I have started to do the research for a return visit.

There is only one area in Verdun with real restrictions these days, and those are only imposed when the ranges are being used live. Friends among the local military and forestry organisations can help to overcome some access problems and they are also aware of much more than can be found in the usual guides.

I hope the strict measures being taken across Europe are effective and that normality can return without too much cost to the population and people’s livelihoods.

David

That’s interesting David. I have long since exhausted using guides for the Somme and I explore many of the areas which people overlook. I also make a point of visiting the cemeteries which are harder to get to and so less frequently visited.

My overriding memory of the woods around Verdun was that it gave the impression of being simply abandoned at the end of the war. There were all sorts of ordinance lying about including a great many German stick grenades. The usual iron harvest was particularly noticeable. Places like Duamont and Vaux were a little more ‘manicured’ but still remarkable.

Fingers crossed that our scientists are getting this right and we can get back to some normality.

Stu

You scared the crap out of me with that picture. Opened up the thread for the first time in a few days. Goes right to your pic and I didn’t know the context immediately and was trying in my tired brain to tie that to the thread “HiFi shops closed” and got to thinking, my god! This virus has really got it in for hifi dealers.

The dangers of pics without captions.

3 Likes

For me, it is closed from 18th and 31st. Coincidentally my amp is in the shop, so no music for almost 2 months.

Thanks guys
Just spoke to my dealer he was very understanding will pop in for a chat later
Cheers

I’m sure you’ll sort something out. Your dealer will be worried about their own business too. Hopefully if the order has not been shipped it can be cancelled and your deposit refunded. This is going to hit millions of individuals and businesses very hard and it’s in everyone’s interest to be flexible.

1 Like

Just heard this morning from relative that’s to be the case.We were in M’sia this time last year [for about 10 weeks] Good thing we are not there this time otherwise might not be able to fly back to the UK.

For the US its starting to hit. The Governor of Massachusetts has closed the bars and restaurants as of Monday eve. All schools are closed as of a few days ago. Harvard and MIT closed down and sent students home last week. Most other colleges have followed the lead. Travelled back from New Mexico on Sunday, thru DFW. Planes were 1/3 full, with each side a full row per each customer. International travel stopped except for hoards of folks streaming back. You probably saw the crouds in Chicago and Dallas, forced by the strict incoming proceedures, and not enough staff to deal.
Stewardess said she expected the domestic flights to shut down soon. We traveled without incident. Glad to be home. Travelling by car for the service of a very good friend who I worked with for 30 years, is being interned this moning. I could not pass on this one. I am sure it will be sparce. We have to be careful, but you have to live. Hope all keep safe. Restaurants are allowed to serve take out. Just had a discussion with friends whether they knew of any bars that do take out. Can’t think of any. Gatherings of more than 25 people are being cancelled.