High end MM, or lower end MC?

Depending on your budget , you could also think Technodec and Techno Arm , with a good cartridge -that would be a good combo -as an alternative to a P8

Hope it all goes too plan

1 Like

That was a fun Friday! I had a lovely couple of hours in the fine company of a Gyrodec SE (with HR power supply) and Technics SL1200G. Both fitted with the same Dynavector 10x5 and running through my own Graham Slee Accession, XS3, Neat SX3s. Probably an hour each, playing the same tracks, a mix of Moby Reprise, ACR MCR, Alice Clarke and Nilotika Cultural Ensemble.

The Origin Live Aurora didn’t turn up in time, so a return visit is in order to make a final decision.

They are both absolutely immaculately built. The Technics was easier to use, has a lid, doesn’t need a separate shelf for the PSU. The Gyrodec does not come with a lid, and needs that shelf for the lovely heavy PSU.

I listened to the Michell first. The differences between the two decks weren’t categorically in favour of either, bass on the Technics was better. In fact it was very impressive in that area. But the Gyrodec seemed to play music better, I was much more involved when listening to it. I would say the Gyrodec also imaged better and rendered voices well. The first track on Alice Clarke made me swear out loud, her first few words were utterly amazing - right in front of me.

The Technics wasn’t running the standard RCA leads, VdH leads instead, and a change to better quality leads (ok, they were Chord Aray thingies) made up a lot of ground on the standard Gyrodec with its captive RCAs.

Reading my notes back afterwards made it a closer run thing than I remember, as I remember the Gyrodec just being much more musical. A description I’ve never really understood before, but is the only way I can describe it.

It’s a shame, my heart was set on the Technics. They are both lovely, and the practicality of the Technics appeals. I’m sure, in isolation, I’d be happy with it. I think the final demo once the OL turns up will need to have one more listen to the Technics, to properly discount it.

What was nice was the DV cartridge, incredible how different it’s presentation was on the two decks, I wouldn’t have expected such a difference. It got on fine with the GS stage too.

I was hoping this was going to be more straightforward X)

6 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face:

Like a lot of these the arm also makes a difference. A rega rb3000 in place of the original rb330 made a huge difference last year to my gyro se ( with HR psu)

2 Likes

great feedback

TL:DR - Awaiting delivery of Technics SL1200G and Dynavector 10x5!

Long story as follows :slight_smile:

I went back to Analogue Seduction to listen to the Origin Live - Aurora and what I thought was going to be the Silver arm, but was in fact the Encounter arm that matched the budget better, and as recommended by OL when I called them to discuss suitable specifications.

I was almost set on the Gyrodec after last time. The OL was waiting when I arrived, oh my, that arm is stunning in the flesh. The OL deck sounded great, really clear, crisp and clean in the mid and high end. Some things it did really nicely. It was a really enjoyable deck, really really refined.

The DV 10x5 was then swapped to the Michell, and it really wasn’t quite as good as the OL, definitely seemed to lose a bit in the refinement stakes.

I’ve been having lots of thoughts on practicality and long term user experience, and had to give the SL1200G another try before discounting it. Also, I had a sneaky feeling I had forgotten to keep the stylus clean on the first audition :scream:

I sat down and just listened, rather than taking notes, and let side after side play through. The bass is great, deep, defined, and really holographic at times with some of my favourite A Certain Ratio tracks. The refinement and clarity that the OL had wasn’t really matched by the Technics, but the bottom end was and then some.

It was such a close run thing between the OL and Technics. And I was surprised how the Michell and Technics swapped positions between the two listening sessions. It was really confusing if I’m honest. In isolation every one of the decks is lovely, the Michell looks fantastic and is really nicely made, the power button is nice to use and the belt/speed change isn’t at all tricky. It also made me swear out loud on the first track of Alice Clarke’s eponymous album, just stunning! The OL Aurora isn’t quite the build quality of the Gyrodec, but the Encounter arm is something else. And I’m sure that Encounter arm contributes to the immaculate sound it had in the mid and high range.

Lastly the Technics, I picked it up to move it into position when it was its turn, crikey, it’s a massive thing. The build quality is off the scale too. It has a lid, and can likely take being moved about a bit. Over the two sessions it also had a different headshell fitted (Project carbon second time round) and three different phono leads (VdH and Chord in session 1, Tellerium Q blue in the second), plus two mats (stock rubber and my OL mat) and seemed to respond to each change.

I took the same range of music along each time, which was the extremes of what I listen to, even if I major on electronic. On balance I think the Technics did what I listen to most, the best. But it was so hard to turn the OL down! I think I would be totally happy with any of the decks. So in the end it came down to which one felt like it was the one that would feel the most special, and the Technics won on that count. It’s so easy and nice to use, and feels like the massive luxury it is.

This all started when I was trying to work out budget allocations between TT components, if MC was worth the increased investment. If a top flight arm was worth thinking about, if a new phono stage would help. The final setup looks like being Graham Slee Accession, 1200G, Dynavector 10x5. A turntable combination that should give me the same 30 years my Systemdek has, and see me out :wink:

The Technics wasn’t in stock though, and in a feat of self restraint I turned down their demo deck! Not sure how long it’ll take to turn up, but whilst I wait, my Systemdek is sounding just fabulous. I’ll be sad to see it go, in no hurry for its replacement, but looking forward to the Technics turning up all the same X)

8 Likes

Great choice. If electronica and beats were my thing, I’d have a Techy, too! I also think that ergonomics/ease of changing records are critical -but often under-discussed- factors when choosing a turntable. My LP12 scores high on those measures as well.

Happy listening!

–Joe

1 Like

I went from a Cambridge MM to Dynavector 10X5 and wassuitablyimpressedby the jump… then to a 10X5 Mk2. Wow! The Mk2 is WAY better than the original!

2 Likes

Can you explain in what way - IYO - the DV10X5 Mk2 seemed better than the Mk1…?

(I would always expect a ‘new’ cart to sound better than a older, used one.)

Sorry to butt in. I believe the Mk 2 has a Shibata Stylus compared to a fairly bog standard elliptical on the Mk.1. That is a big change imho.

2 Likes

Thank you. You are correct -

“…now features a hardened aluminium cantilever with a nude ‘Shibata III’ line contact stylus”

I never knew of the existence of that ‘Abbey Road’ picture disc.

I know that many people think that they sound worse than their black equivalents, but they are fun, and yours is a cracker!

1 Like

It’s the revamped version , re-issued last year

Sorry that I won’t use a bunch of jargon…
I always measure it in terms of how long I will listen for without getting fidgety or distracted - first listen on the new cartridge was for 5 hours, which is considerably longer than I anticipated. The sound was very clean and better than from my streaming sessions which tend to be 1-2 hours at a time.

1 Like

Don’t be… :slightly_smiling_face: Often, the jargon makes little sense.

also, @Collywobbles has already pointed towards the ‘tech’ differences… :grin:

My only concern was that the price had more than doubled from the Mk1!

Not as far as I know… :thinking:

Just gonna post a pic or two! The Technics turned up today, plus Dynavector 10x5. Took about an hour to set up, trying very hard to take my time!

After all the demos and internal debate about MM/MC/HOMC I ended up with a Graham Slee Accession, SL1200G, DV10x5.

I gotta say, that really should do me for a vinyl front end for quite some time.

Very happy! How I’m going to get anything done the rest of the day is anyone’s guess X)

11 Likes

Great looking deck - congrats

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.