High end MM, or lower end MC?

This would mirror my experience of the Dyno. Fun and ‘impressive’ in the short term perhaps, but I knew I wouldn’t be able to live with it in the longer run. The Hana, on the other hand, has made it impossible at times to tear myself away from playing records. It’s also enabled me to appreciate different types of music I possibly wouldn’t have considered before. It is THAT listenable (but possibly not as immediately impressive in a short demo IMHO).
Hope the fun continues! :grin:

1 Like

Thank you for the thoughtful post, I forgot to respond to it, sorry!

The PSU for my Systemdek was serviced a year ago, including some replacement capacitors, so should all be ok inside.

I’m sure the motor issue will be fixable, I will get that done regardless of final decision on a replacement TT.

I think I’ve heard enough during the DG-1 demo, and listening to the Technics on Friday, to suspect the Systemdek can be improved upon though, and I have a bit of money to do so. It is a straightforward and well made deck, so I think I understand what you mean about that part. The dealer on Friday commented at how fit it still looked. I wonder what a DG-1 (or OL for that matter!) will look like in 25 years. The Technics already looks 30 years old :wink:

It is actually the fact the DG-1 looks “cool” that partially puts me off actually. The OL looks are kinda similar, if a little less extreme. I’m not convinced about that aspect of either.

I fully expect a LP12 can be run until I can’t X) I will definitely go listen to one.

Cartridge wise, I’m very happy with the improvement the GS stage brought to my already excellent 1042. I suspect with an improved deck I’ll be at a level of performance I’ll be happy with long term. I think I just need to get reasonably priced MC, and HOMC, listened to at some point, to see what they bring. The higher maintenance costs of both would need to justify themselves.

And if all this sounds messy and long winded, it probably is! I’ve already spent longer thinking about it than the last house purchase X) I’m not in a rush with this though, it will be a definite luxury to buy a new TT, and I’d like to feel the end result is exactly that. And spending a few hours playing with TTs is great fun :slight_smile:

Cheers :slight_smile:

1 Like

You might keep the deck longer than your house , whatever happens you will have taken your time and to repeat my earlier comment, your GS phono stage is one of the rare bits of kit I am envious of

2 Likes

To throw something a little left-field into the mix, maybe check out The Wand turntable from DesignBuildListen . Beautifully made, very well reviewed, sounds great and commonly used with Hana MC cartridges previously mentioned. There’s a UK distributor coming soon apparently.

Not sure if I can post a link, though I don’t have any affiliation with the company at all.

No commercial links in the Hifi Corner, thanks.

1 Like

I found the site ready enough, ta for the heads up. I had seen that arm before, interesting stuff. A hilarious review of it on stereophile too :wink:

Looks nice, I’m going to keep the list as it is for the moment though, cheers carlp :slight_smile:

Don’t underestimate the headshell that comes with the G. It looks the same as the one on the older and current lower-end decks, but isn’t. You could also get the one that comes with the SL1200GAE (RFA3670) or SL-1210GAE (TYL0456), although even though they have different serial numbers I’m not sure if they’re really different from each other or the one supplied with the SL1200G/SL1210G (TPBAA202).
Perhaps you could inquire with your dealer or even Panasonic/Technics?

If you do want another / extra one, I also have, and can recommend, the Jelco HS-20 if you can still find it.

One I’m personally interested in is the Korf Audio HS-A02. Also have a look at their blog in general, they also have tested quite a few headshells.

Do pay attention that most headshells are significantly heavier than the original one which is only 7.6 grams or so.

1 Like

Hah, thanks, I was just taken in by new shiny thing syndrome :smiley: I would definitely stick with stock to start with - not least due to budget.

And I would have some reading to do on cartridge compliance and arm mass interactions!

It’s like fancy fishing floats or lures, designed to catch anglers more than fish …or shiny power cords/interconnects :wink:

3 Likes

I wondered what the outcome had been?

Also interested in the outcome. I’m looking to upgrade from an Ortofon 2m blue. Looking around the £1k mark and my phono stage is capable of mm/mc

Dear @gthack ,

Do you have any update(s) for us… You bought a top-of-the-line Linn LP12, you say… :crazy_face:

1 Like

@Ian2001 @Naimflyer I decided to stick with MM, at least in the medium term. It is the ongoing cost commitment I’m still unsure of with MC. And my next step is auditioning a new deck: SL1200G, Gyrodec&technoarm, OL Aurora & Silver Arm, in September.

The demo is with Dynavector 10x5, as that’s what was on the Technics for the brief demo I’ve already had, and was the cartridge the dealer seemed to be ok with swapping between all three decks on the day.

I was going to visit OL HQ the other week, to finalise the spec of the equivalent Aurora, but I did not realise they sell direct too. Mark at OL is exceptionally nice, and we had a good chat on the phone, but it wasn’t fair for me to spend their demo time and then buy from a dealer, so I did not visit in the end. Interestingly, after our conversation, the best bet would be Aurora deck and Encounter arm, a combo that looks stunning on paper/in photos. He thought the platter upgrade would be easier to make at some point than an arm upgrade, and at my budget point that deck and arm would sound great. The only issue is that I’ll “only” be able to demo the silver arm, that’s two below the encounter and does not have the fancy dual pivot arm bearing, or upgraded headshell and arm tube.

Factoring that into the demo is going to be difficult, but what do you do? I did not feel happy pushing the dealer to assemble a custom set up they might not be able to shift, and I wanted to listen to at least two of the decks together, which OL don’t offer. I actually think at this price point that the dealer is already doing a lot, so am happy proceeding on that basis. It does kinda mean I’m leaning towards the Technics to be honest (which I know is daft without listening to the other two, my bias going into the demo is non zero X) ) - there’s no arm choice! Even the Gyrodec might sound amazing with an Encounter arm on it. At which point my head explodes and I put an album on my Systemdek :wink:

Cartridge wise, I’ll probably stay with my 1042 short term, but I really wish to compare the DV with a Hana SH. And am aware the recurring cost of HO MC is likely more than MM, so still thinking about that. First order of business is the deck and arm though. Whilst that happens though, the GS phono stage continues to sound amazing. It really did transform my Systemdek.

Someone is going to shout P8 any time now too :smiley: Any of the three combinations will sound fab, as would a P8, or a LP12. As does my Systemdek! I’m sure if be happy with any option, the demo is to make sure there’s nothing dramatic in the presentation of the decks that I don’t like.

Thanks for asking both, I was going to update the thread when there was something to update, but forgot to do so after the OL discussion :slight_smile:

1 Like

Analogue Seduction is well named. Their demo room is a flipping scary place :wink:

I use a HO MC ( dv 10x V) on my P6.
I did find that the naim 322 mm boards were not good enough for it. Mainly the reduced gain from the boards. I had to get Class A to convert them to E type before the dv sounded good.
Most, if no all MC cartridges benefit from a phono stage that can be adjusted for gain, load etc. Something thay MM cartridges appear to be more tolerant off.

2 Likes

You had 322 N (MM) boards converted to 323 E (MC) …?

I had thought that the x22 and x23 boards were different, in their design,

1 Like

Your memory is better than mine!
You are correct. It was 323 s or k to 323e
Which is why i still have my 322 boards in the 72 box!

1 Like

Damn those facts… If only… :crazy_face:

For information and greater understanding, the 323 and 523 boards can (via Naim or an approved agent) be converted between the various sub types. So say S to K, or E to S, etc. The S & K are quite similar - both are high gain. The E has a lower gain - but is higher gain that the 322 N or 522 N boards.

By a bit of NaimLucc, the E boards happen to work well with high output MC’s - such as the DV10X or 20XH or similar… As a bonus, the result is a better volume match between Phono and other inputs. Less surprises… :astonished:

Thanks for the update. I’ve a Gyro SE with Tecnoarm. I love this combo but want to get the most out of it with a new cartridge. Was thinking Benz Micro ACE SL or Dynavector 20x2.
If and when I take the plunge I’ll update.

1 Like

Depending on your budget , you could also think Technodec and Techno Arm , with a good cartridge -that would be a good combo -as an alternative to a P8

Hope it all goes too plan

1 Like

That was a fun Friday! I had a lovely couple of hours in the fine company of a Gyrodec SE (with HR power supply) and Technics SL1200G. Both fitted with the same Dynavector 10x5 and running through my own Graham Slee Accession, XS3, Neat SX3s. Probably an hour each, playing the same tracks, a mix of Moby Reprise, ACR MCR, Alice Clarke and Nilotika Cultural Ensemble.

The Origin Live Aurora didn’t turn up in time, so a return visit is in order to make a final decision.

They are both absolutely immaculately built. The Technics was easier to use, has a lid, doesn’t need a separate shelf for the PSU. The Gyrodec does not come with a lid, and needs that shelf for the lovely heavy PSU.

I listened to the Michell first. The differences between the two decks weren’t categorically in favour of either, bass on the Technics was better. In fact it was very impressive in that area. But the Gyrodec seemed to play music better, I was much more involved when listening to it. I would say the Gyrodec also imaged better and rendered voices well. The first track on Alice Clarke made me swear out loud, her first few words were utterly amazing - right in front of me.

The Technics wasn’t running the standard RCA leads, VdH leads instead, and a change to better quality leads (ok, they were Chord Aray thingies) made up a lot of ground on the standard Gyrodec with its captive RCAs.

Reading my notes back afterwards made it a closer run thing than I remember, as I remember the Gyrodec just being much more musical. A description I’ve never really understood before, but is the only way I can describe it.

It’s a shame, my heart was set on the Technics. They are both lovely, and the practicality of the Technics appeals. I’m sure, in isolation, I’d be happy with it. I think the final demo once the OL turns up will need to have one more listen to the Technics, to properly discount it.

What was nice was the DV cartridge, incredible how different it’s presentation was on the two decks, I wouldn’t have expected such a difference. It got on fine with the GS stage too.

I was hoping this was going to be more straightforward X)

6 Likes