High End Munich 2023

Yes also on the right side 4 times 350 on the left side the ps for pre and streamer.

1 Like

Sorry but possibly being a bit stupid here, but why would Naim want to demo a 300 series system with 4 x 350 mono blocks? What is wrong with the normal mode of just two? If the amps are so fantastic as mentioned on the 300 new series classic thread, then that would be enough. I am not bashing focal but if they don’t work why insist?
In any case I am looking forward to hear the new 300 series in a nicely setup demo soon hopefully.

2 Likes

I think this aren’t 4 x 350 mono blocks - but 2 x 350 mono blocks and 2 x NPX 300. (?)

I think Bert is right. The power supplies for the streamer and preamp are on the left?

It’s visible in the picture and mentioned in the demo - right side of the picture 4 times 350, left side of the total picture the ps for streamer and pre-amp….

1 Like

I talked about immense grip of the speakers, so I assume it was intentional.

So with just two it was no so immense :roll_eyes:

Interesting, as I Thought Naim was ceasing to support active, and so discontinuing SNAXOs. Do you know what they were using as the active crossover? A Snaxo, or something new, or another brand? Sorrry if you’ve already said and I’ve missed.

1 Like

Simply because active is better than passive, I guess - and if this is a high end show, both Focal and Naim would want to impress.

I was not there to form any opinion so I will leave it there. At least one person was not impressed out of 3 if my counting is correct. I‘m not sure if Bert is impressed or not, so let‘s leave it at that.
All I can say is that the very nice demo I had of the 200 series was quite ok and look forward to a demo of the 300 series

Thanks for your post.

On previous demos / shows I’ve heard the xs3 and Focal Arias and they are like your observation: a pairing which is very musical.

1 Like

A nice demo track from the Naim demo - loud

4 Likes

They said it was bi-amped, so…

There is no external crossover used, not a true active setup. This is passive biamping, which can be done with any speakers that have “biwire” terminals. In the past Naim did not approve of biamping or biwiring, due to star-earthing issues, I believe, but the new amps are wired more conventionally to the preamp.

2 Likes

That would be because those Totems are up the job of rock :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Most audiophiles (not accusing any members) gravitate to well recorded music that shows off their hifi, like jazz, rather than music they like best.

There is a reason the jazz aficionado audiophile stereotype exists.

4 Likes

Those Focal speakers need all the help from the electronics that they can get…

1 Like

At last an answer to a question I posed several years ago to which no-one responded! (Along the lines of “Why jazz? Every hifi shop seems to play it.” It is a genre I dislike and much of it simple make me want to leave the room, quickly.)

1 Like

I belief also a lot of suppliers avoid music which is showing the real edges of what their system is capable of. For instance you seldom hear classical solo or concert piano, no chamber music etc…
Getting ready to travel to the 2nd day of the show…

1 Like

I like some but most sounds like either a bunch of black turtleneck wearing, horn rimmed bespectacled posers hitting randome notes. Or it sounds instrumentally advanced but the emotional dynamic range is nearly flat. I like a bit of raw emotional bloodletting from my artists. I don’t get that with Jazz. You get “I’m quite sad,” and, “I’m quite happy,” and “I’m fond of this person.” You never get, “I’m devestated and want to tear my entrails out.”

Like I said, I like some. And yes the recoding quality is superb. But I need to be in the mood or use it for background music.

2 Likes