High-End Network Switch-SOtM sNH-10G

8018ade9b375f2ca0eba14ca58ce1c8d
High-End Network Switch-SOtM sNH-10G

a32a2bcdea9cee95d7258db00acbf7aa

:small_blue_diamond:This SOtM sNH-10G-Switch sells a Swedish hifi company.
Is anybody here familiar with this switch.?
It costs in Sweden £670:-.

Below how the Swedish Hifi-Company describes this switch.

:small_orange_diamond:"High-End Network Switch-SOtM sNH-10G

Many audio lovers,have recently noticed the importance of a,…for high-end audio to use a custom Network-switch.
This after having tried and compared a large number of switches of different brands,…and then found that none of these are optimized for the best possible sound quality.

Now SOtM has launched its own high-end switch,which sound far surpasses everything else on the market!
It is also available with clock input,so that it can be connected to a low jitter master clock (e.g. Mutec REF10).

Further,SNH-10G can be fitted with EVOX capacitors,and 7N UPOCC braided cabling of copper,or silver."

:black_small_square:Anyone here who knows something about this switch.?

/Peder🙂

1 Like

What is its content of this device that differs from a normal switch?

:small_blue_diamond: Garyi,…I have no idea,…I just saw these pictures,and the writing,…on a Swedish sales page for High-End Hifi today.

That is why I ask here.

/Peder🙂

Interesting Peder.

On a similar note, Uptone Audio is about to launch its new EtherRegen switch.
Apparently it has lots of attention paid to super quiet power regulation on all ports.
It also has an optical (SFP?) port that is specifically intended for a music streamer such as Naim ND series or the new Sonore OpticalRendu device.

The thinking is that bits may be bits but RFI is a pervasive nasty that can really only be 100% blocked by full isolation - hence the optical ethernet connection to the streamer, thereby isolating it from all the upstream, dirty computer & network stuff. While optical networks are apparently more prone to jitter, dacs such as those by Chord are relatively immune to input jitter. However, this does not apply to all dacs by any means.

Others (SiS perhaps?) understand the technologies involved far better than I. One to watch out for though.

If nothing else, it will put a cat among all those pigeons trying to sell us £1k+ ethernet cables - Transparent, SoTM, Audioquest etc…

Best regards, BF

1 Like

I’ve argued this before, surely the point of a switch is to be in a central location in the house. In between that switch and your hifi will be shed loads of stuff with RFI, surely these snake oil types would be better designing a super quiet power regulated fridge and freezer, this would inevitably have a far more positive effect on so called main borne noises?

It looks an interesting device. I had one of their USB Regen devices which worked well between a Mac Mini and DAC.

From what i understand, the Etheregen doesn’t have an optical connection to the Streamer - there is just one ultra quiet (their words) isolated 10/100 Ethernet port for this. The SFP port just allows a fibre connection to the rest of the network for further isolation - it’s effectively on the same ‘dirty’ side as the other 4 Ethernet ports. How good this and other ‘audiophile’ network switches are compared to the ubiquitous Cisco 2960 will be interesting to see. I’ll be sticking with my Cisco…

1 Like

It’s very easy to write off a device like this as snake oil, especially given the relatively high price compared to a basic ‘consumer’ unmanaged switch. Then again, a Cisco Catalyst switch would cost as much as this, or more. Besides, I’m not sure why one would think that a switch would be a useful device for reducing RFI in your hifi. As I understand it, the perceived benefits of the Cisco switches lie elsewhere.

SFP is simply a format of Small Form-factor Pluggable interface adapters that allow you to connect bespoke or stand twisted pair or fibre leads into it.
SFP effectively allows you to assign a switch port as either twisted pair or a fibre variant. The SFP+ standard allows 10Gb/s and higher whilst SFP is less than 10 Gb/s .

As far as as the switch being designed for low noise, the key thing is the physical design of port connectors and the PCB tracing so as to retain balance and decoupling. A low jitter PHY layer clock is important to keep intermodulation down … additionally a well designed back plane to keep frame throughput reasonably consistent again to help keep lower frequency inter mods reduced. As far as power, quality DC converters should be used… these are the DC equivalent of switch mode powersupplies.

For any switch purporting to be optimised for audio I would expect details on the above… and really to the detail level of the TI white paper I have shared on this forum on designing low noise Ethernet
interfaces.

Additionally there are the protocol support aspects that are important and I would expect a configurable implementation of IGMP to help filter unnecessary multicast processing for the streamer… a source of potential noise.

Simon, would a semi reasonable switch be doing that stuff anyhow?

Its full and fair to expect a Cisco switch to cost this much they have years of experience behind them and frankly when the chips are down one might have more faith in the level of support available from a company so experienced in the market, from an audiophiles perspective you would presumably want that comfort rather than a company directly marketing at you.

I guess all in all if its such a concern there is always wireless!

Gary I would hope so, but I suspect consumer devices and some low tier commercial devices will be designed at a very low cost point and so compromises might be made… and it’s understandable if for 99% plus of the customers the switch is totally adequate.
I think the areas of compromise will be around the physical clock stability, and dc to dc converters… and possibly the connection impedance/balance/decoupling.
Many consumer devices I have seen don’t support IGMP and simply blindly open and broadcast multicast group frames to all ports.
Wireless of course has its own different challenges, and interframe timing consistency is not really something that is going to that controllable unless you support WMM (802.11e)… and I have not yet seen a consumer Hi-Fi product support WMM…and of course your access point would also need to support WMM (802.11e) as well … perhaps this is the next thing we will see :grinning:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.