Hissing phono stage

Hi All. I’ve got an LP12 (Ekos 1, Karousel, Core and Radikal) playing into S Boards in my 52. I had to change my Arkiva (which was dying) earlier this year for an AT F7 (for financial reasons at the time). It’s been a good little performer since then. However, over the past few weeks, I’ve noticed a considerable hissing through the speakers when the volume is only at the ‘9 o’clock position’ on phono (not any other inputs). Its always been there with the volume well up past that but seems to be more noticeable now.
Any thoughts
Thanks
John

Same issue here… wondering if its a ground problem? Is Something not grounded properly?

1 Like

How old are the MC boards? When were they last serviced?

3 Likes

Thanks for that, I will check.
Cheers
John

Hi Richard,
They came with the 52 in 1991. They were last serviced in 2012 as part of a service/Pots 8 upgrade. I’ve also recently noticed an increase in surface noise on lead in grooves and wondered if this was the Karousel/Radikal upgrade showing the limitations of the AT F 7 ?
Many thanks
John

Does the hiss change volume with the volume control? Is it the same when the turntable is disconnected?

1 Like

Hi, yes the level of hissing does change with the volume control. It is the same when the turntable is disconnected.
Many thanks
John

If this has got worse only recently but was otherwise fine before, I suspect it could possibly be a sign that some service attention is again needed.

1 Like

Is there a WiFi router or mesh router near by? Try turning off WiFi for a min to see if that clears the interference.

1 Like

Hi, yes the level of hissing does change with the volume control. It is the same when the turntable is disconnected.

Preamp/Phono board issue.

If possible I’d probably take this opportunity to buy a separate phono stage rather than spend money servicing the boards.
Your level of kit deserves more than the Naim phono boards which are a real limiting factor for your otherwise top drawer record player.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think you may have something there Bob, I was thinking on those lines myself.
Cheers
John

Your NAC52 has a powered AUX2 with dedicated windings from the power supply, which could power a Superline. That would be a major step up from the internal boards.

Thanks Richard, I was wondering if that would be an appropriate option in lieu of an external PS.
Thanks
John

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.