Hms and Naim speaker cable

Other ones in the same complicated spirit :

Synergetic Research SRX speakers cables. Only 30k.

Getting closer but still:
Capacitance 53.52 pF/m
Inductance 0.592 ĀµH/m

Just my own experience. Both Kudos KS1 and Atlas Hyper sounded much better than NACA5 when I replaced it a few years ago (I went for the KS1 at the time) . This was, of course, with my NAIM electronics and Kudos 606ā€™s.

As always, people should consider alternatives, in their own systems where possible. Thereā€™s a lot of choice out thereā€¦

Thanks Andyblain, thanks Suedkiez you allow me to see more clearly in the different choices, in any case my HMS should therefore be changed with Naim electronics, now which one to choose?

The KS1 does not seem to have published specs that I can find, but several forum members are using it.
The Hyper is just as off as the values I quoted for the other Atlas above.

Of course anyone is free to try alternatives. It just does not seem to make sense to use cables the amp designers warn against.

Why not SuperLumina if you want it expensive, or the often mentioned Tellurium Q Black II, or WitchHat? Or Chord (but ask Chord regarding Naim - they know about it)

Itā€™s ALL about the sound. I donā€™t give a stuff about the specs. Kudos cables with Kudos loudspeakers made sense to me and my ears.

For members whose amps overheated and shut down, it was not just about the sound. If we trust that Naim designers know how to build amps, it seems odd to think that they have no clue about what the amp expects on its outputs.

But to each their own, I am out

That hasnā€™t happened to me.

Because you are using the Kudos which seems fine by all accounts.

All I am doing is simple multiplication and division based on the recommended values in the FAQ. The HMS and Atlas cables are far out based on these recommendations. If you donā€™t like the recommendation, itā€™s better to take it up with Naim. Personally, I donā€™t want to stress my amp and doubt that it would lead to better sound, but maybe there are scenarios where it helps. Even then, one should be careful

Tellurium silver II looks pretty good too

Atlas Hyper is a great cable,
I have used mine (4M pair) for various setups, though not on older Naim amps, Unitis are not that sensitive.
If you by any change are trying matching cables do make sure to have long runs, as short loudspeaker cables on most Naim sound rather terrible.

1 Like

Thank you, so if I take 2 x 3 meters itā€™s not bad already

here is the answer from hms for its cables

The information you have concerning the incompatibility of NAIM amplifiers with HMS Ls cables dates back approx. 25 years and is no longer valid for newer NAIM amplifiers such as NAIT.

We now have the best experience with newer NAIM amplifiers, especially with Armonia and Suprema Ls cables. So no risk.

A bizarre answer imo.

1 Like

:man_shrugging: While indeed the Supernaits and Unitis are less critical, I donā€™t think this means that wildly weird cables should be used that require 20 meters to reach the recommended inductance and then overshoot the recommended capacitance 20-fold. In any case, they contradict Naim and HMS wants to sell cables. Itā€™s also blatantly untrue that this is 25 years old information as it is in the current FAQ. But like I said before, anyoneā€™s choice and not my problem.

I think NACA5 represents great value for money. I would rather spend more money on a better source/amp/power supply than on exotic cables.

And so would I! Itā€™s bizarre when people ask questions, get advice and then do what they were going to do anyway. Of course a maker of exotic wires will say they are ok. Theyā€™d be stupid not to. Using such exalted cables with humble electronics seems weird to me, but then it doesnā€™t affect me and if the OP wants to do their own thing then itā€™s all fine.

So a little clarification. I have had these HMS Gran Finale for a very long time and they were on non-Naim electronics. Before that I had Naim in the 90s. Now Iā€™m going back to Naim and Iā€™m trying to understand if my Gran Finale can damage my electronics I didnā€™t buy his cables for this electronics so the remarks of the style that I want at all to use them I do without. I know the level of my amp well and of course itā€™s another HMS world but it sounds terribly good, light years away from a NACA 5 which for me is not to my taste, on the other hand Iā€™m not stupid to insist on using the HMS if it risks for my set. I had answers, I will turn to Atlas or Tellurium hoping not to be disappointed. Thank you for your contribution

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.