Hope everyone having a better day than me

Please do, I can’t quite picture clear elastic, some kind of silicone rubber bands keeps popping into my mind, but I can’t say that I have seen such things.

My need is not immediate, but the risk of small-handed visitors is possible!

1 Like

That’s a great idea.

Hi, I have those speakers but in black, might be a bit drastic but you could attach a small swivel clip to firmly secure the grill, but would involve drilling a small hole (more easy to remove and repair on black though), If I had young family and/or pets I would do this

Well I think this may work, it certainly seems strong enough and is clear enough to not be noticeable from the listening position. For now I’ve just tied the top and bottom of each grille in a knot at the back.

With it being some kind of silicone its quite difficult to get any purchase in knotting, it slips if you only double knot it it so I’ll check the soundness of the tie in a few days. For now I’ve just triple knotted it as tight as I can manage.

It’s 1mm clear elastic cord for anyone interested

2 Likes

I really hope ATC see this and realise what an utterly incompetent design their grilles are. In fact I hope it shames them into fixing your drivers for free……and designing some grilles that are fit for purpose!

Is it because they come off so easily and the kids can access the drivers?

1 Like

To be honest the grilles are very good at stopping poking and being acoustically transparent but because they are magnetic are fairly easy to remove. I think the design is good for the most part, when they are off they leave the best aesthetic although in my situation I’d obviously prefer they were more secure.

I knew the design before I purchased so can’t lay any blame on ATC, and tbf I’d forgive them for the sound they make (even with damaged drivers). You pay your monies and makes your choice I guess.

3 Likes

It’s the fact that kids can still clearly see the drivers which arouse their curiosity that’s the problem. It’s then extremely easy for them to remove the grilles as they are so easy to grab hold of and the magnets are weak.

Well mine aren’t, but what do I know —I’ve only had them for two years? If anyone wants weak magnets, they should try PMC Fact3s whose grilles I eventually had to stop using. But then I’m weird, I’d rather my speakers were designed to sound best rather than to be as kid-proof as possible.

Roger

2 Likes

Simple solution keep kids away from hifi and speakers teach them right and wrong

2 Likes

All kids are different, it’s not as simple as just saying teach them right and wrong. My son is extremely inquisitive and would touch and play with whatever he could get his hands on. That also means sometimes breaking things or taking them apart. I was the same when I was young. Through being like that, I can build my own speakers despite no training or work related experience. Through trial and error.

Either your comment was due to having no kids, or kids that were of a different temperament. If I had two kids like my daughter I would probably be of the same opinion.

Through experimenting with things, my son understands the physical world to a level that most his age do not, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

6 Likes

The Horror!
Hopefully this get sorted. I had 3 years old kids (twins) for a visit. They did not go for the ATC speakers, but more or less instantly darted to the turntable and the tonearm. I had to guard the “trembling” Dr. Feickert like a goal keeper for one hour… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

These are the scariest occasions! The parents have no idea of the value nor the ease of destruction.

1 Like

Yes it was an ordeal, but at the same time at least one of the kids did like dancing to the music! :slight_smile:

That exactly happened to my LP12 + Ittok tonearm many years ago - A friend brought his 3 year old daughter for a visit, she came immediately to the turntable, which playing music, twisted, bent and literally janked the Ittok out of its base, oouch !!! Her dad, apparently, knew nothing about the Linn LP12.

3 Likes

OMG! Did you tell him the cost of replacement?

When my godson James (now in his mid-20s) was small and the family visited me, I was always amused by his Mum’s reflex leap in front of my turntable every time he moved in that general direction.

1 Like

I went for insurance, let him off the hook, because (1) I was afraid that he would not believe the cost if I were to tell him or he might think that I was nuts, spending that sort of money on a turntable! :), all he knew were some cheap sony/japanese mini stack hifi systems, which were popular at the time.

1 Like

Danny,

Thinking of your grills.

When my kids were little is added some material to the “peg” on the grill, in my case black electrical tape. This added enough friction so the girls could not pull the grills out.

Maybe some experimentation could be done if the grills have pegs and are not magnetic ( I would hate to use two side carpet tape for this ).

Stephen

They are unfortunately magnetic however I think the elastic will suffice coupled with covering the speakers when not in use, it will also encourage me to only use them, and the rest of the av system, for material deserving of it. Previously the av system was in full use for peppa pig and her ilk, not the way I think ATC, Naim and denon would have wished it im sure :rofl:.

I really hope the kids appreciate a professionally calibrated OLED and sound fidelity only experienced by a privileged few. Aaah who am I kidding :rofl:

2 Likes