Hope everyone having a better day than me

Ah yes, they shall be banned from the family living room without farther delay! What a fantastic way of encouraging them to love music as it’s meant to be heard and felt, im sure my daughter will miss her dance time with her beloved lady gaga but alas at 18 months old she should instinctively know that prodding speakers is a sin and be punished accordingly :wink:

1 Like

Well perhaps ATC magnets are inconsistent, but I reckon I could have knocked them off my dealers SCM40s by standing next to them and farting.

One cannot introduce the little ones early enough to proper sound — and the Hi-Fi industry should be grateful. :smiley:

Indeed, most kids love music and that’s something that should be encouraged. The idea that the HiFi is only for your grumpy old dad and you’d better keep away in case he shouts at you is not healthy.

2 Likes

From the other thread on this:

“My old Proac 1SC were treated like doorbells when my kids were small. I found the vacuum cleaner trick worked really well. Once I’d sucked their eyeballs out they never found the speakers again.”

G

3 Likes

I feel for you. A similar thing happened to me about 10 years ago. I had a friend come and stay along with his two young girls. I had forgotten to lock the music room and being young, they had got up very early and gone in there to investigate the hifi. I came down in the morning to see them playing with toy cars on the carpet. Only I soon noticed that one of the “cars” was actually my Naim Aro and SPU Royal N cartridge.

I had to bite my tongue and sweetly suggest that they let me take the “car” and I would find them another one. It took some negotiation! I never told my friend. He was going through a nasty split with his wife at the time and I knew things were really tough for him. Luckily the Aro turned out to be alright, but the SPU was completely ruined.

10 Likes

Proof that discretion is the better part of valor. Well played Richard.

2 Likes

Hey Danny,

I have been there too… my son pushed in the tweeter. If the domes are not ripped, you may want to try and pull them out. What worked for me: put a piece of double-sided tape on a round surface like the handle of a screwdriver:

Knipsel

place that gently on the cone, pull, and gently roll it off the cone again. Repeat until back in shape. I would not recommend using a vacuum cleaner as the pulling pressure is hard to regulate.

Good luck buddy, I feel your pain…

1 Like

Thanks Bas, I’ve managed to manipulate the mid back into shape but the integrity and stiffness of it is definitely compromised, it sounds a little quieter if not quite as detailed but is usable u til reacement / repair, thus I think at least a recone is in order. As for the bass driver, I’ve tried various types of sticky tape to no avail, im not certain it’s affecting the output severely so for now it can stay as is, again probably a recone… if my insurance company ever gets in touch, been 5 days now.

For now it’s good enough for AV duties but I cant bring myself to sit down and listen to music knowing it’s damaged.

1 Like

Insurance companies will wriggle like snakes to try not to pay… Persist!!!

3 Likes

How can you say such things? Their brochures assure us they are there for us and provide protection and peace of mind! :face_vomiting:

Gutted for you but one of many factors for how I ended up with my PMC Twenty5.27’s. Metal covered tweeter and mid and inverted bass drivers. :frowning:

Never run my PMCs without the covers so forgot the tweeters have a grill!
Although I’ve only got the Twenty 26s. Not the improved version!

Gosh, you’re right, it’s so simple. How stupid you must think we all are. Have you got any other gems like this you can share with us?

Whilst you’re at it, do let the UK Government know, in no more than a dozen words, how to solve Brexit and tell the UN how easily they could transform Afghanistan into a peaceful utopia.

Mark

4 Likes

I tried reading this thread but it was too much. Doesn’t anyone discipline their kids, grand kids, pets? I never let my kid or dogs in my listening room. Dog was a bit easier to train, kid wasn’t that tough though. If you’re going to have kids maybe plan that you’ll need more space and kid proof stuff. Maybe a bigger place with a proper family room and a living room for grown ups and hifi. Of course I could be wrong

4 Likes

Well said opus thanks my thoughts exactly it only takes a few times of saying no, firm but fair to let them know where the boundaries are. Alternatively keep gear out of potential harms way or some serious protection for it

1 Like

Bingo

5 Likes

You were right about one thing.

1 Like

Ah damn, the simple solution was to get a bigger place. Of course.

2 Likes

You see, my problem was that I must have forgot to let my two year old know where the boundary was. How stupid of me, all I had to do was tell them no… Silly us stuck in our two bedroom townhouse with my homemade speakers. We should have just used all the spare cash we had to buy a bigger place. :man_facepalming:

5 Likes