Hoped for a better year end

Hi @pcd did the issue require that your 552 had to go back to the factory or could they fix it with local repair? Would changi g the input temporarily fix the issue (bare in mind I already tried the r a-rca input that failed as well)

Happy new year
Iver

Unfortunately the relay repair/replacement is a factory job and I believe the fault effects all inputs.

Luckily I am only just over 40 miles away from the factory so my dealer dropped it down the next working day. Naim turned it round in about 10 days excellent service from both parties.

2 Likes

Yeah, my ca. 2016 252 developed an output relay fault and was replaced under warranty. I lost the left channel, although the tape outputs worked fine. Works great now, and what is interesting is that the phono input no longer seems to make the speakers pop from EM pulses when my wife turns the bathroom lights/fan on.

1 Like

Would that be a good opportunity to get a brand-new NAP 500 DR? :wink: Or even a new NAC 552?

Happy new year!!! May new year bring you better music.

Mine also had to go back to the factory BUT it did only affect one input. As my AV amp was quite old the suspicion went there. I (unnecessarily) bought a new AV amp. It was only when the fault continued that suspicion shifted to the 552 (after trying a new RCA-Din between the AV amp and 552 as well).

The service sheet that came back with amp stated that a faulty relay had been changed.

Another member had the same problem:
The 552 was also new.

thijazi

Nov '20

My brand new 552 had a relay get stuck and I lost my left channel completely, although I was surprised by that assuming that the quality assurance for a product of this cost would be super tight, nevertheless I figured many things can happen during shipment stages (I live in Dubai so it is not as straight forward for Naim to control the entire supply chain)

The worst for me was the wait, it took weeks to get a brand new unit shipped back… But when I listen to it now, all is forgotten and I grin ear to ear with joy as this pup sounds like a champ… no regrets.

2 Likes

Well, both would be advisable, obviously.

Had the same on my 552 once it had came back from service, these relays certainly are sticky fellows, it had to go back to naim to sort

Hi!
Same here a couple of months ago. My 282 had stuck relay (right channel lost). Now fixed by Naim :grin:.
I wonder how if there is any way to avoid this issue in the future…?
Happy new 2022!

2 Likes

Are these relays sticky, or do they fail?
Exercising will usually fix a sticky relay, but of no use if its failed.
I’ve assumed the coil has gone open circuit and failed. Or is there more to this, such as dirty contacts?

Well my 552 on first switch on once back from service didn’t work on one channel, I left it switched on and 6 hours or so later it all worked fine, I then had to switch it off to place back into the fraim property and once again it didn’t work and this time it didn’t fix itself

I’m sort of hoping that naim, and their supplier(s) understand why these relays stick or fail.
It could be that the issue is accepted as these are commercial grade items, and their failure is deemed tolerable. Or, naim have little choice but to use a supplier that accepts these fail.
Early life failure suggests poor or inconsistent manufacure quality. Late failure tends to be wear related. Stuff in the middle is harder to work out why and tends to be put down as “random”- meaning “we don’t know.”

Iver Latham can fix this for you no probleem if it’s a stuck relay. The fixed something on my brand new NDX 2 in a few days. I know your dealer and he has very short lines with Latham. Sometimes bad things happen but most important is how they get fixed.

2 Likes

Hi @Cprdam , I am with you and indeed hope for a « local » repair. Understand that Latham has some tech experts employed, so hopefully they can fix it. I have full trust in my dealer; they are excllent

Iver

I was going to suggest it should be fixed by Naim but given you are overseas there are local service centres. There is a thread about this.

There’s definitely one in Holland. Not sure about Belgium

1 Like

My pre loved 552 also had the same problem with the relay before I bought it over from the first owner. It was, however, fixed by the local dealer in Singapore.

Brilliant service by my dealer and the BeNeLux distributor !!
Today they passed by to sort out the issue. Indeed a relay of the 552 seems broken
My 552 will be repaired, but … they provided me their spare 552 so I can continue listening to music. Fantastic service !!

In the meantime I asked for a recap of the 300PSU. For that they took the 300DR combo and provided me with their spare 250

This is such a wonderful example of perfect customer service. I am impressed
Iver

15 Likes

I’ve always had perfect service from Naim dealers.
I can’t comment on other brand dealers, but those that deal with Naim products and also stock other brands are top notch. Always going the extra mile to ensure that you’re not left without something to listen to whilst your kit is being serviced.

5 Likes

Well done, to both… :grin:

1 Like

Hi Iver,

Good to hear that you experienced excellent service :ok_hand:
Did you arrange this service through the shop from Leidschendam?

1 Like