Hoped for a better year end

Bad luck: this afternoon I suddenly noticed the left channel was dead. Got new SuperLumina speaker cables yesterday so assumed the problem was there. It was not

Calling with my dealer, I tried almost everything I could imagine: reconnected all burndies, checked the SL interconnect by adding a “normal” line input interconnect, checked the speakers by swapping, checked the mono XLR’s and swapped back from Morgana to the standard ones, … all no results … in the end I see no other option then to have an expert coming in.Both the dealer and I think it is the 300Dr that is maybe broke

It’s my bad day today I think :slight_smile:

Anyway, happy new year everyone
Iver

1 Like

oh , what a nasty end .

Hope it is a minor - but unforeseen problem

2 Likes

HI @Ian2001, I don’t have a clue. Just listened today and not touching anything of connections or so. It just stopped playing the left channel. The only thing I can think of is that the 300Dr gets close to a service. It is the only piece in my set that I did not purchase new
Iver

1 Like

@IvdZ So sorry to hear that. Would be heartbroken myself. Hope your situation is fixed as soon as possible.

1 Like

Hoping you get this issue resolved quickly. Sorry to read about this

1 Like

Highly unlikely to cause a Channel to fail.

Most likely - a connection problem. You got new cables… yesterday…?

Yeah, SuperLumina loudspeaker cables. They played for a full day, and wonderfully. Swapped the cables from channel: still left dead. Swapped the cables from speakers; speakers work perfectly.
Iver

@IvdZ I had similar and it turned out to be a stuck relay on my 552. The 552 was only a couple of months old and myself and the dealer never suspected the 552 at all but after testing everything else we came to the conclusion it must be the 552 and so it proved to be.

1 Like

Not much consolation but we’ll all have Spotify HiRes in just over 8 hours!:grin::grin::grin::grin:

1 Like

Did you turn everything off when playing with the cables? Particularly the cables between pre and power amps.
I managed to blow a fuse in my non naim power amp doing that. Left channel too as it happened.

1 Like

Rotten luck. Is it still under warranty?

1 Like

Hi @Buryfc what is a stuckrelay ? Are those the pieces used when you move the 552? They were all removed. The 552 is brand new; I got it 2 months ago
Iver

Hi @Thegreatroberto yes I did. Just to be clear: it happened while I was listening and not at all touching the system. Only afterwards I started checking/unplugging all cables to see if a connection failed. Always did that with all power off

Iver

Hi @Beachcomber the 552 and ND555 were bought new this year so under warrantly. The 300dr is older and has no warranty anymore

Iver

A relay that has stuck in an open state.
It’s a switch operated by a separate circuit to that it is switching.

2 Likes

Hi @IvdZ , it’s what @Neilb1906 has said. When it happened on mine it was just the AV input that lost a channel. The streamer was ok so I assume each of the inputs have separate relays. Good luck sorting your issue.

1 Like

@Neilb1906 @Buryfc so do you suggest I connect the interconnect between 552 and ND555 to another input on the 552 and try the result ?

I would. Anything is worth trying. Just mute the 552 and swap the plug over.

2 Likes

It would help rule out a fault with the 552 (or confirm it)

Ok will try. I am doubtful since I plugged in a regular RCA-RCA interconnect I had left and reprogrammed the 552. This didn’t fix either
Iver