Hot and humid equals better SQ?

Just returned from a couple of days motorcycling around mid Wales with the missus and we completely melted on the first day so we just went Dolphin spotting on the 2nd day. On returning home, I went to my shed to listen fully expecting to fall asleep because I was completely wiped out but ended up having one of the most pleasurable listening sessions of the year. Everything just sounded so together, totally focused and musical (more so than normal) for no apparent reason. The only thing I can think of is that the temp was in the mid 20s and that the humidity was extremely high and I know that this helps prevent static build up. Am I imagining things? I didn’t even have that much wine. :blush:

2 Likes

My body dislikes this weather so it does absolutely nothing for my enjoyment of music. Now that summer is an 6 month thing in Denmark it is not good for people with allergy/astma! It is always difficult to know what is gear and what is psycological state. But coming back to your system from a few days away tends to give more enjoyment.
Claus

1 Like

I think I have to agree with you. My system does sound better during hot weather, it might be that the speaker drive units move more freely. Just a guess!

4 Likes

In that case, thank God where I live is hot and humid all year long :grin:, because our system sounds more wonderful than it should be :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

I agree with you have noticed the same

A friend brought round some Nordost Eco3 (static inhibitor) many years ago and left the bottle with me. It had quite an effect when applied to cables, speakers cones, cd labels as I remember. Unfortunately it needed to be re-applied every couple of weeks which I couldn’t be bothered with and the bottle ended up thrown out after gathering dust for a couple of years. It wasn’t cheap. Maybe hot humid summers have the same effect on our gear. It’s certainly quite dramatic.

I’ve given up hope of any decent listening this weekend, music room is just too hot here in S England. I’ve actually switched the power amp off. Shame as 4 new albums are awaiting their first plays

1 Like

I’m with @Claus, though not in Denmark! The current spell of hot and humid weather we’re suffering in the UK just wipes me out and makes it hard to concentrate on anything. I’m looking forward to cooler temperatures next week when I hope to start enjoying my music again.

Roger

2 Likes

When the humidity drops significantly I’ll experiment with some static inhibitor on cables etc. Found a small bottle of vinyl cleaner/static inhibitor in my stash of tt bits.

Id suggest your win is because of the power grid. Nobody is using heats in good weather etc cleans things up massively.
Summer where i live is alway better, particularly after 9 pm for some reason.

1 Like

I think this would be very location specific. Yes, there is reduced demand for heating, but there may also be increased demand for aircon, electric fans, dehimidifiers etc. and lots of solar inverters cutting in and out.

1 Like

I experienced exactly the same thing as the OP. Fantastic few hours of listening pleasure. Strange. And then my loft music room became too hot to sit up there so I switched everything off for a few days and watched some movies instead. Cooler this week, so I can fire up again.

1 Like

My listening room is a log cabin in the garden. It’s fully insulated top/bottom and sides but but it still suffers from temperature extremes more so than my house. Never got too hot though and even in the depths of winter I can actually manage without the heater by using a blanket :grin:. As I did last winter to save energy. I think I will put the heater on this winter though. :thinking:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.