And brought right up to date again by Marshall Jefferson

4 Likes

Satoshi Tomiie ft Robert Owens - Tears

7 Likes

Tracks that started it for me:

5 Likes

Phase II was the creation of Blaze founders Kevin Hedge and Josh Milan

3 Likes

Frankie Bones and Tommy Musto as Voodoo Doll - Woman Beat Their Men (1988)

Hip House

6 Likes

ST’s Nu breed 6 from 2002 still gets a play in this house :grinning:

1 Like

Another hip house classic

3 Likes

This one?

This is where it all began for me … vividly remember recording it so I could play it on a trip to Spain mid 80s.
STREET_SOUNDS_COMPILATION_ELECTRO+3-754378
Someone kindly lent me a Raleigh Shopper bike while I was there, so spent every day cycling around with the Walkman on listening to Davy DMX at full volume :grinning:

5 Likes

Deep House.

I’ve often mused over what “House” music is. Techno, Electro. Electronica .DnB etc has a distinct signature whereas House ?
I used to correlate it to the hospitality trade. Having a House wine or spirit. Something basic but of quality apart from the more expensive boutique items. Similar to the club nights having resident DJs putting on anything going to get a crowd worked up to the guest DJs.
House being anything from 118 - 125 bpm with a 4 by 4 beat with an emphasis to the kick and the snare/bar.
Back in the day a House DJ had a pretty broad palette of flavours to choose from.
I think that’s what got me hooked to “House” You would often go to a house party and find all sorts -Goths, hippies, crusties, rude boys or metal heads and not necessarily off their heads on milk of magnesia to start the bum rush.

3 Likes

Interestingly, that last track (Freedom) is what i would personally call Rave rather than House. :slight_smile:

Another Mr. Fingers favorite:

3 Likes

Yes it is quite hard to define. The early electro stuff was really hip hop before jangly pianos were introduced into the mix, which then seemed to morph quite quickly into ‘techno’ … its all a bit blurry now anyway, the Hacienda is one of the first places I remember hearing it, along with the Fridge in Brixton.

2 Likes

A personal fave from a great house label.

6 Likes

Wasn’t big fish, little fish an approximation of the dimensions of a house - along with the folk living within ?
Not forgetting the lady with a chimney on her…

3 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like

Went down surprisingly well in the rock/punk club i was frequenting at the time

4 Likes