How About a Glass of The Bubbly?

Dare I ask if Willy adds lead to one’s pencil?

3 Likes

Isn’t it mousse in a fine Champagne?

Willy isn’t drinking “Willy”. I’m drinking…

Willy.

9 Likes

There are a number of different mousses that I know of - the sweet, sickly dessert pretending to contain chocolate, the lacquer that ladies (and probably some men in Brighton) use to style hair, and Rabbie Burns found a wee, sleekit couwering timorous one on a floor somewhere in Ayrshire. You must be able to find them in champagne, though!

Great wine. I remember the first time I tasted it about 30 years ago, at a merchant tasting a wine merchant mate wandered over with a glass of sparkling wine and a smug grin saying “Try this”. I really couldn’t place it, the class of a fine champagne, but a fantastic acidity and a non-champagne yeastiness confused me, I thought it must be a fine small Champagne house I didn’t know with a specific house style. The first time I’d had an English wine I’d choose to drink, and it was genuinely top-class even then. Cheers Matt.

1 Like

I did this tasting for some clients last year.

If I had the money I would drink a lot of Krug.

6 Likes

Well, the English invented the process…

The French…perfected it.

Nyetimber is highly recommended by my Waitrose contact (who has never given me a bum steer with other drinks).

2 Likes

Impressive! the wine shop in Montelimar where my sister lives let me have an unofficial champagne tasting tried a Philpponnat and a Ruinart among others but no Krug as its far too expensive to open a bottle it was the first time i found that not all Champagne tastes the same

Bubbly is always too “bubbly” for me, it goes up my nose, so I stay clear if possible. Now malt whisky is another thing but that is a different thread.

1 Like

Picked this up today in Sainsburys Pommery own a vine yard in Alresford, Hants
first grapes planted in 2018 so this could be the first bottles? not a band price £22

1 Like

I’d consider that an ad hominem :slight_smile:

I await your verdict!
I have to go to Sainsburys in any case to get some Marmite Truffle… :yum:

I’ve always bought my champagne directly from independent producers (Xavier Leconte in recent years) - most of the stuff offered by the large champagne houses that are mentioned on this thread (Mumm, Veuve Cliquot, etc.) are simply overpriced.
I don’t think I’ve ever paid more than 19-20€ for a bottle of excellent champagne - incidentally, “premier cru” is meaningless as far as champagne is concerned. 15-20€ directly from the producer means 30-40€ from a shop or supermarket.
I find it difficult to believe those who say they have enjoyed champagne at 8€ a bottle - at that price I prefer a crémant, either from Burgundy or from Alsace - certainly not a prosecco, which is very different (often sweeter, which may be more to some people’s taste).
I’ve also tasted some very good stuff from English producers, based in Kent mostly.

The more I get to taste different champagne cuvées, the more of it I want to own and drink. There is such a variety of styles, especially given the potential that being able to blend with up to seven varietals gives. Add in all of the other sparkling wines, and a lifetime’s pleasure awaits.

This bottle was opened at the weekend. Just beginning to fade but oh so graceful. Definitely not for everyday where I would happily choose from cava or Cremant if drinking closer to home or a marvellous fizz from the Cape or Tasmania. Lots of great choices at great prices. And then we are back to the weekend and back to champagne again!

3 Likes

I liked some that were cheaper than that - however that was over 22 years ago: £5-6 then would be about £9-£11 today. Also, remember that that was not only direct from the producers, but with no shipping costs and no UK tax/duty to pay as bought direct from the vineyards. However, perhaps more particularly we all have different tastes…

1 Like

With tax, the wines you mention would be about 15€ or a bit more, I suppose, which is the kind of price range I had in mind. We do agree that it’s not necessary to pay through the nose for a decent bottle, though.

These are on my bucket list… only about half way through up to the veuve clique rose. Our house favourite seems to be the Perrier Jouet

7 Likes

Recommend the Verve Rose very quaffable!

1 Like

Definitely a favourite of ours we also tried this at our neighbours house.

The Laurent Perrier Rose

4 Likes

We’re Bolly, Louis Roederer and Charles Heidsieck fans here when we have the occasional bubbles moments