How do you know what version of a digital LP to buy?

I’m thinking of starting a digital music library.

CD rips are possible, but my tastes have moved on quite a bit since I used to buy CDs.

So when buying digital downloads how do you know which recording and what resolution file to buy?

Do I have to research each one, or compare samples?

On Qobuz it’s indicated. It’s a yellow hirez logo. When you download, it will ask you if you want the Flac, Wav, Aiff…16/44, 24/48…etc
On Bandcamp, it’s not always indicated, most are 16/44 and you can choose Flac or Wav.
On Highrezaudio, it’s indicated. But only Flac. So you have to convert to Wav using Dbpoweramp or other. ( the best choice here for ECM).

For some strange reason, vs the majority here, I prefer the uncompressed Flac. I find the sound more airy and agile.

Thanks FR.
That’s useful input.

What I was wondering is how you know exactly what mastering of which recording you’re buying, and whether that’s the best version?

Because I find that with web streaming from Qobuz and Tidal there can be some poor and some excellent versions of LPs, but you can’t tell which is which until you actually listen to them.

The albums I buy exist only in one choice…
So can’t respond. Some use Roon to have more informations.

I think the frequent reissues of classic albums with new mastering is often a PITA. Partly that is because as you observe it is hard to know which one to get, and I am not going to subscribe to Qobuz or Tidal to have a chance to compare - possibly sounding different streaming online from when downloaded. And partly because not all remasters are improvements, and sometimes seemingly just trying to milk the susceptible punter.

I’ve tried and tried, but I cannot discern one iota of difference between FLAC and WAV! My hifi or my ears perhaps, or perhaps there just isn’t any audible difference? Who knows, but it means I can fit more albums on my UnitiServe’s hard drive!

But could it be that storing files in WAV and transcoding files from FLAC to WAV on a NAS on the hoof as the files are extracted and processed and sent to the 272 are different things - and that the latter process is more helpful to the 272’s streaming board?

Too complex for a simple soul like me (that goes for at least 50% of the content of the hifi and streaming threads)! I’ve managed somehow to stumble on a system that works for me, which is, I think, where I’ll stick. I don’t need to know why it works, just that it does.

I prefer a bit Flac uncompressed on my system. But I agree, differences are minimal.

1 Like

@JimDog same for me as @frenchrooster the 2 I use are Qobuz and Bandcamp

need to check as @frenchrooster explaines, I try and get the best resloution as I can and store in FLAC and then play as WAV - Asset converts on the Fly to NDX which I prefer

only other important point is to back up, I have back ups of my back ups - slightly OCD!

Hi Antz
My question was mainly about which recording and what resolution file to buy?
there are so many bad recordings and mastering and versions of LPs out there, how do you know which version to get from where of each LP?
Jim

to be honest it is a little bit of luck on the LP copy, I purchase a lot of vinyl so getting a free download is that little bit of extra added value

Most artists downloads are at 16/44 so CD quality, however there are some which offer high res for free, they are few and far between - Peter Gabriel is an exception and is Stephen Wilson

Back to Black is very good source for LP’s with quality downloads

I don’t think I have every had a “bad” recording on 16/44 when downloading as a free download but some are better than others

Yes
Just a shame most of their vinyl is such shitee quality…

1 Like

I am curious, why would you buy digital music with Qubuz/Tidal subscriptions avaibale?

Because is sounds better when streamed locally, specially on an audiophile Nas as a Melco.
On a common Nas, with the new Naim streamers, the differences are minimal.
But with a very good Nas , like an Innuos zenith or Melco n1z2, the sound is really much better than streaming online.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.