How do you search for new music?

I used to buy ‘Gramophone’ and ‘Mojo’ monthly, but I find that both are more like comics these days, so I don’t bother any more.

I listen to Radio 3 every day, so I will occasionally look for something that I’ve heard played there.

The fact is that I have more LPs and CDs than I could ever listen to, even if I sat down for seven or eight hours a day, every day for a year.

So I don’t really bother much any more to look out for ‘new’ music. Which is one the (many) joys of reconciling myself to becoming an old fuddy duddy.

3 Likes

Similar to @Pete_the_painter , @seakayaker and others I go to the ‘what are you listening to’ thread and then stream stuff that catches my attention. If I really like it and will listen again and again, then I’ll buy on CD or vinyl depending on what it is. I find I overlap with a number of the posters on that thread and have taken quite a few recommendations. That meant being prepared to step outside of any comfort zone.

If you watch some of the other threads too, you will also get recommendations and for example I watch what @graham55 recommends for classical- I still have a few to follow up on vinyl but I want to do that in a full-on record shop if I can find one. My nearest physical shops don’t carry the range.

I’ve found it helps to be completely open to most genres of music and in that I also had an unexpected ally in my teenage daughter who listens to everything. Even my son’s friends are into music that predates me, even.

Try also to listen to the music you might have scoffed at in the past. Over the last few years for example I’ve finally ‘got’ the Beatles (previous generation stuff when I grew up) and in the face of continued recommendations on this community finally listened to Wishbone Ash - and an extensive Jethro Tull-a-thon is overdue!

Finally, I listen to radio (K-CRW Eclectic 24 is an example) and YouTube as the former has an extensive play list and the latter tends to respond to a range of your preferences and can come up with good ideas at times.

Similar to others but I also subscribe to the UNCUT magazine, I usually go for a 2 year subscription which always has a few interesting articles and loads of reviews. I also enjoy holding an actual publication and not my iPad all the time.

1 Like

thanks a lot, many useful information. I will for sure try bootcamp, uncut, mojo, bandcamp, 6music.
regarding the online music provider I think the engine of spotofy is one step behind tidal and qobuz, there is something that let it find really new and interesting music.
I personally enjoy also Radio Paradise, something new and interesting appears from time to time, they have the ability to mix different kinds of music

Roon radio with Qobuz, radio paradise and Bandcamp are my main sources of inspiration. Whatever happened to my friend’s’ recommendations? Our tastes have diverged.

Read the german vinyl magazine Mint plus this forum

1 Like

Internet radio.

I regularly listen to jazz, rock and pop stations.
When something “new to me” pops up I go searching in Qobuz.
Found lots of artists and albums this way.

1 Like

thanks Paul, how does it pop up? from where? friends, newspapers, sites… thanks!

On the radio stations they play tracks that I like that I have forgotten or not heard before. These may be new or usually old.
e.g. Just heard tracks by Joe Jackson and Peter Cetera on the new SuperStereo 8 radio channel that I will check-out on Qobuz.

1 Like

Definitely. Also the many threads on this forum for specific artists and the best albums/releases to get. I believe the forum members here are true experts in this field :+1:

Then I will use the web to search for an artist’s back catalogue and go from there.

Trouble is I think I have bought approximately 60 CDs in the past 3 weeks alone :see_no_evil: :joy:

3 Likes

Radio Paradise is also a good source to discover new music .

3 Likes

I tried to have a look at uncut, seems is specialized in indie, pop, rock and folk. do you agree with that?

I go through the new releases from Qobuz and Tidal. Plus if I see something on social media that appeals to me. Plus my primary source, 28 year old de facto daughter.

1 Like

Yes, mostly agree. It does repeat itself after awhile with front page and articles on Bowie, Dylan, McCartney, Cohen, Young etc. It’s less PoP centric and a little more Americana.

In the review section I often find bands and artist’s that I’m not familiar with, which leads me to new music.

1 Like

New music for me would be an album overlooked within my little jazz 1935-1953 world.
Qobuz often throws up oddities I have missed.
I might play the same album over and over about ten times and then return to it the next day. I like to know an album inside out,read about it and the musicians’ lives. Even perhaps what they had for breakfast on recording day. An extensive library and iPad help.

I do listen to BBC radio 3 Night Tracks at 11 pm most nights with gin and kindle to hand so not the complete Luddite.

2 Likes

I discovered Bleep.com last year it has more avant-garde electronica music and options to download and buy vinyl editions. I know very few artists on this site but worth listening to their albums of the week. I downloaded a few albums recently. I will order some vinyl this year but can’t comment on packaging etc.

3 Likes

I watched webinar from Luminate on the 2022 music market. Available on their site. Price of admission is your mailadress (thanks Apple for the new temporary email function :-))

In europe radio is dominating discovery. The number given was 83%. This is unique for europe.

thanks, bleep.com is totally new for me!

BBC Radio 3 Record Review - Building a Library. I have bought a number of cd’s after listening to Building a Library. Normally it is music I haven’t heard before. The reviewer and Andrew Gallagher (the presenter) explain different aspects of the music and what different performances bring (or not). They go through each section of the concerto, symphony, quartets etc to show how different performances contrast with one another. They finally choose their recommendation. So if I like the music I will buy this recording.

1 Like

Another vote for Radio Paradise, it was musically in the doldrums for a good while but they’ve recently upped their game with Alanna, Bills (or William as he now likes to be called) daughter now doing the music curation apparently

1 Like