How does the SN3 ”know” that a Hicap is connected?

Does the Hicap’s 24V control a relay in SN3 to make it shut off the SN3’s internal 24V to the preamp?
In my old Cyrus 2 there are 2 internal fuses, that have to be removed, if an external psu is connected.

relevant stuff get re routed once the link plug is removed

3 Likes

As Damien mentions, the link plug is the key here as it carries L&R signals and a 24V power link between the SN3 pre and power amp sections. Once removed, the SN3 pre-amp section needs an external PSU, in this case, two 24V power rails from the Hicap provides this now.

4 Likes

As said, removing the link ‘plug’ breaks the signal path.

4 Likes

Its all done by a dedicated team of Technical Elves at Salisbury…

They just know

3 Likes

:grin::+1:t2:

1 Like

It’s AI enabled.

1 Like

That is the physical side we experience… (link plug removal);
I believe and the manual nay back these sentiments up- a chip inside will inspect the present running arrangement and yhen reconfigure.
I think it ‘books a reboot’: and the user needs to ’ turn the (Super)Nait Off and back On again ’ for the system to run as expected when changing to/from an external power supply unit.

1 Like

As with any power supply related connections, you should power the unit(s) off first before disconnecting cables or link plugs.

Removing the link plug and adding a Hicap to the SN3 should be done with both units powered off.

There is circuitry to detect loss of power to the pre-amp side, hence the mute button flashing with the link plug removed (and no external PS attached). Pressing the mute button puts the SN3 into power-amp mode.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.