How good are the standard Naim cables

For a long time, Naim’s stance was that different cables made no improvement to the sound of their equipment, and users were strongly advised to use only what came supplied in the box, although there was some excitement when Naim brought out the ‘lavender’ interconnect to replace the ‘grey’ one that had been in use until then.

Then all seemed to change at around the time of the release of the 500 Series, maybe it was even part of the 500 Series when it was launched. It was a bit of a Damascene conversion at the time.

1 Like

I remember being told or reading somewhere that there was a connection(!) between the Naim and Chord, along the lines that the same cable manufacturer supplied the cable to Naim and to Chord. I have no idea if this is true, but some kind soul may be able to confirm (or refute) this.

You may want to check which cables and which launch dates you mean. 500 series and Hi-line cables?

IIRC, your general point is right anyway in that JV himself was pretty unequivocal. However, Naim kit back then typically meant fewer boxes and a lot less cabling, and a pair of 135s was about as far up as the range went.

I don’t remember there being much talk from Naim about cable dressing 30+ years ago either, but then with fewer cables (and no Fraim of course) EM issues may have been rather smaller. In addition, some unsuitable cables were quite capable of damaging the amp, and Naim was presumably keen for that not to happen.

A lot has changed since then. Keynes famously said that when he got new facts he changed his mind. One explanation for Naim’s stance having changed since the 90s is that they agree with him.

If the subject interests you, why not get a free trial set of cables and try listening to them for 2 or 3 weeks? I tried non-Naim cables for the first time at home less than a year ago - thanks Witch Hat.

I had enjoyed a slightly smug feeling from avoiding the obvious foolishness and silly claims about cables, but that changed when I had to admit that I (and everyone who heard the hi-fi, even those with no idea that I had changed anything) heard more music more clearly after the change - and we didn’t like it when we swapped back either.

Of course, your ears may still tell you what they did at Grahams - it costs nothing to find out.

3 Likes

Sounds like the money might be better spent elsewhere (i.e. 2nd hicap, etc).

Is the general consensus that the speaker cables have bigger impact than interconnects?

Certainly in a financial sense.
Shorter mains and interconnect cables could give more bang per buck.
Consequently, those brands that offer a full loom in tiered levels - ultimately recommend using all from the same level, but within a budget going for the best you can afford for the mains and interconnects with the speaker cables down a level - rather than the best speaker cables on a higher tier and lower mains and interconnects.

3 Likes

Naim and Linn; there is a dna connection between naca4 and k20. Plus I believe there’s something shared with talk talk 3.1 and exposure cables.

1 Like

The interconnect cable used in the early Chord Chrysalis cable was the same supplier as used by Naim. Chord was set up by Paul Stephenson’s then wife to supply RCA to DIN leads which at the time Naim themselves were reluctant to do.

3 Likes

I had always understood there was some sort of link between Naim & Chord. Didn’t know any more.

Certainly early Chord Chrysalis cables (I own one) look very similar to the Naim i/c’s, from around the same time.

Yes, there was a connection. Sally Gibb, married to a Naim executive, was at a dinner where some Americans retailers were asking for a suitable DIN to RCA interconnect. She suggested that she start up a company to manufacture suitable cables. This she did with the blessing and technical support of Naim, and the rest, as they say, is history.

4 Likes

Correct, and said wife was Sally Gibb

I have changed just about all my cables for the first time ever in the last year - previously all standard Naim.

In order of effect and VFM, the order is for me: -

1. Dedicated mains radial from the meter - the cheapest and the biggest upgrade here.
  2. Interconnects carrying signal and power.
  3. XLRs and then analogue signal interconnects.
  4. One star-earthed Hydra to power all Naim boxes - cheaper and probably more effective than a row of Powerlines imho.
  5. Speaker cable.

In other houses and systems, to other ears, results may differ…

3 Likes

Interesting. I did hear that some employees went to work there as well but don’t know the details. Many of their products are tested with naim equipment as far as I know. I am happy with their speaker cable and interconnects but rest open minded about everything using the naim stock cables and working fine in a system properly set up and in the right room with decent mains

1 Like

I have a Hydra for power to the Naim units (with the STAX headphone energiser plugged into its own mains plug), and all seems fine I feel no need to rush out to buy expensive mains cabling.

1 Like

Me neither Graham. I did but some chord clearway x speaker cable which was very reasonably priced. I have the impression it is a better resolution over the complete frequency range and more manageable than naca 5, especially in the bass regions. The clearway interconnects were also quite decent but less impact than the speaker cable. I think the mains has a bit to do with our woes in the apartment in Germany, probably old cabling and poor earthing, although our squarish listening room does nothing to help our SL2 shine. The place in France is diametrically opposite with decent mains and new substation plus cabling when they buried all overhead cables. Also the living room is a delight, a bit on the lively side but better that than over treated IMHO. My second system is here with a very modest pair of wharfedale diamond 220s driven by my Auralic streamer and recently serviced NAC 42N and NAP110 from my student days in the 1980s.
All the best!!

1 Like

I had a fun day listening to a ND5 XS2 vs my mk1 Chord Hugo. Started with the standard Naim DIN - I preferred the Chord. The dealer then substituted a Super Lumina DIN cable - but did not tell me what they were doing (though I could obviously tell they were doing something with interconnects). The difference was much less.

I use standard Naim cables throughout my current system, but that demo definitely gave me food for thought. Apparently the dealer has form for that sort of demonstration, I’m not that surprised given the difference I thought they made.

1 Like

I have standard black snaic cables between my power amp and HiCap and HiCap to pre amp. My Rega Aria phono stage and my Rotel CD player are connected to my pre amp using Flashback sales performance interconnects Din to 2 RCA, both bought used from eBay under £10 each, I think the sound quality I’m getting is great in my system, I’m sure that there are better cables I could buy such as Chord Shawline @ £250 a pop but I do wonder if I would really here a worthwhile difference. Does anybody know if Naim make a Din to 2 RCA cable? I think the flashback sales interconnects I bought used were a phenomenal bargain. I have a set of Chord Cameleon 2 RCA to 2 RCA that I will use when I have had my 72 pre serviced and had the BNC terminals changed out to RCA and had the phono input altered to allow me to use my external phono stage to go straight through via link wires, I have a feeling this will be an improvement over connection through the Tuner input with the falshback sales company interconnect. It’s such a shame that company is no longer trading, I understand the owner David passed away. He was so knowledgeable and helpful and I thought his cables were a viable alternative to Naim at a very competitive price.

1 Like

This makes no sense to me. But… YMMV.

I would not expect there to be any difference. No point. IMO… :expressionless:

Ah ok well that saves me some money, glad I mentioned it.

Yes, they do!

2 Likes

Good to know, thank you. I will try and get a price.