How good is the Naim NDS

i am exactly in the same position. My nds is sounding wonderful today. The addition of cisco, good ethernet cables and melco today raised it to a high level, much much more vs my past cdx2/ xps2.
The cdx2 / xps2 was already a top notch cd player some years ago.
So i can enjoy for now this fabulous streamer. I don’t stream tidal or qobuz, so a high quality nas as a melco is also very important to improve.
If i upgrade, i will loose easily 5/6 k in selling it. After only 3 years. It’s quite stupid to do that now.

1 Like

Must say my nds / melco sounds fantastic and even better now i have a 552. I got mine second hand last year for a great price and looking at the 555 price its a bargin and got to be first choice if you want a naim streamer for sensible money.
I auditioned the nds against the ndx2 and i liked the way the nds sounded over it, much warmer sounding i felt.
Anyway i say go for it

2 Likes

I’m curious to know whether any NDS owners consider upgrading a non-DR 555PS to a DR version is important to getting the best out of the NDS.

My 555PS will soon be due a service and I am considering whether I’m best factoring in a DR upgrade at the same time. I’m thinking of borrowing my dealers demo 555 DR before I commit, but if it sounds different, it may be difficult to determine whether that difference is due to the DR or the power supply just being newer and less tired than mine?

I have to say I’m smitten with my NDS and it’s not going anywhere!

how much it costs to dr ? i would do it for sound uplift.

Naim are about to change the rules so you can only get DR with a service - sounds like timing is on your side on that count!

I did the DR upgrade on my 555 and it was worthwhile. If you can afford it it makes sense to get it done if not you will have to wait for the second cycle of service in a further decades time…

I’m not sure of the exact cost at the moment FR; I will have to check with my dealer when the time is right, but if memory serves me right, I think it would be around an extra £1200 to DR it.

what is your nas? melco, uniticore, innuos, common nas?

Ok, thanks for the heads up, I didn’t know that!

Good to hear you found it worthwhile. Knowing what you do now, having experienced the difference, would you do the same again or would you consider using the money elsewhere to make improvements?

I use a Melco N1a/2… which is another topic, but very good it is too!

we have the same. I asked because melco, vs common nas, gives a better uplift on sound than dr 555. I feel…

That’s a shame, because if it gave around the same uplift as the Melco gave me, I would certainly be upgrading to DR!

Anyway, I have a few months to decide and will do a demo at a later time when I’m ready to take the plunge… just wondered what other NDS owners thoughts were on this, that was all.

@Jason the price rises at the end of this month to £2499.99 I believe for a service and DR upgrade. Naim will no longer be offering a DR upgrade outside of a service also. If you just go for the service now and do the DR later you will have to pay for a service again!

i tried to say that melco gives very probably a bigger uplift vs making dr the 555.

Gulp… ok, that’s a lot more than I remember and may help make my decision!! Thanks Steve.

I understand what you mean FR, thank you.

1 Like

Upgrades are hard to explain, well for me anyway! I think the perceived wisdom is that DR upgrades are good value.

As you can only service / Dr via a dealer prob worth doing a quick demo and then deciding.

Gary

The new arrangement will mean that you can service without having to dr at the same time, but if you want dr upgrade you have to have a service at the same time.

I had a 555 non dr (bought used around 6 or 7 years ago - I think - could have been longer ago) on my nds (bought used just over two years ago) and earlier this year I traded the 555 for a new 555dr. Got a deal that meant it wasn’t very much above the cost of service and dr plus sale of 555 (did same with supercap that I bought new 9 years ago). It was sounding absolutely fabulous for several hours yesterday and today - the best it has ever been (jolly well ought to for the amount spent in the last couple of years!)

1 Like

Thanks Gary & Tim. All noted and much appreciated, thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.