How good is the Naim NDS

Not yet, next week. Only reacting to the reviews

Good though the Supernaits are you will still have a bit of a Monkfish with NDS/555PS into an SN3 I suspect.

The NDS with 555ps DR is really good it is more earthy sounding than the ND555 - which has an appeal ā€¦ its a great unit - and is a bit of a second hand bargain - and of course you can improve it again by adding a second 555ps! Please note ā€¦ I can highly recommend the Super Lumina interconnect ā€¦ it is fabulous with the NDS - try and pick up a second hand one.

Maybe ā€“ but, how does an SN3/NDS/555 compare to a 272/555/250? Possibly eye-level? Or maybe better with undemanding speakers? The latter three-box combo is widely used and appreciatedā€¦

I hadnā€™t thought of that direct combo battleā€¦
Thereā€™s only one way to find out!!

FIGHT !!!

3 Likes

Well, the former has a considerably better streamer as the source and they both have similar pre-amps. So, unless the speakers need the power of the 250 amp, Iā€™d be going for the former.

1 Like

The advantages of 272/555DR/250 are:

1. You get the power of the 555DR maximising the SQ of your preamp as well as your streamer and DAC. Youā€™d have to buy a couple of hicaps or a supercap to put on the Supernait I think to equal that.
  2. The analog stage of the 272 DAC is integrated directly into the preamp.
  3. The preamp is isolated from the power amp.
  4. The 250 is the same power output (80W) as the Supernait, IIRC - but will I think amplify the signal better than the SN, especially at low volumes (which is how I listen).
  5. The NDS was launched in 2012, whereas the 272 was launched in 2015, so includes various later design develpoments.
2 Likes

This is not merely a theoretical issue for me as I have 272/555DR and am currently deciding whether to go for one or the other of these options.
Two nights ago I was listening to the system and felt it was sounding so good I simply didnā€™t want to take the risk and hassle of tearing it up, and doing all the transactions, etc. as well.
So I have organized a home trial of a 250DR that will take place in 9 days time.
The 250 route gives me a better upgrade path with less wasteful steps if the end goal is something like ND555/555DR/252/250DR.

1 Like

That does make sense from where you are I think. An updated 272 may come into the mix too, but having the 250 either way will fit in longer term.

I went from a Nova to the NDX2 and SN2, as I didnā€™t want the older streaming technology in the N272. Either way, with a 272 or SN2, you have move one out if going separates.

1 Like

Humm - yes, thatā€™s the problem.
If I buy a 250 now and Naim launch a new 272 I not be able to afford it.
It would be very very useful to know now (or just to have some inkling now) whether Naim will update the streamer/DAC/preamp space in the next year or two.

1 Like

Lots of demo units for sale right now. Might not be such a long waitā€¦

I traded up from an NDS to the 555 and I would love to say it was a dramatic upgraded, it was an upgrade but ā€¦ The used NDSā€™s out there right now are a bargain to say the least. If I were building a moderate price system (under $50K) it would definitely be my streamer.

4 Likes

Lots of demo NDSs?

for 3k!

I did mean 272ā€™s but FR is right about NDS being very cheap these days. Seen sub Ā£3k achieved on auction a few times.

1 Like

So the rush of ex dem Supernaits recently to the 2nd hand market, was a prescient and precise warning that the SN3was coming.
Is the number of ex dem 272s at the same level as that yet?
If so, does it mean the 372 is coming?
Or does it just mean an announcement is coming that they are going to stop making 272s?
Or what?

1 Like

It seems reasonable to assume that the successor to the 272 will be announced within a year or two. Virtually all of Naimā€™s component range has been refreshed over the last several years (Uniti, ND streamers, Muso and now the integrated amplifiers). The current 272 seems to have been a very successful product for Naim and announcing its successor a couple of years after the introduction of current ND streamers range would serve two purposes; prevent cannibalising initial sales of the latter while maintaining public interest in the brand with a continuing stream of new products.

2 Likes

I heard rumours of a September announcement but I maybe mistaken as I am not in the market for one and never have been so may have not been listening properly.

2 Likes

The trouble is, the popularity of the 272 will be reduced by the fact that it runs the old streaming platform, which will be enough to put many people off and thus reduce itā€™s value. This alone might explain why dealers are selling them off cheap, as would the knowledge that Naim would discontinue it, regardless of whether or not a replacement arrives.
So thereā€™s no point in trying to second guess what Naim will do.

1 Like

The NDS is an absolute bargain then! Apart from discs and downloads ripped to the Core, R3 is the only streaming I ever do and it sounds superb to my ears coupled with the 555 PS DR. Perhaps Iā€™ll trade up one day but Iā€™m in no hurry right now! My NDS is also 3 years old so still in its youth.

4 Likes