How good is the ND555?

They are well worth a demo. They have network streaming built in and can act as Roon endpoints so no need for an NDX2. No bull, fine engineered products. Daniel Weiss knows his stuff. (Weiss DAC2 / 202 user from back in the Mac ‘n’ DAC days)

1 Like

Hey Dunc
and better power supply as well

1 Like

Correct
But i covered that in my etc. Lol

1 Like

I am not sure where you are in the world @mech but I used to have DeVore Fidelity speakers with my 250 and it was a super match at low volumes in a small apartment. The DeVore’s are very sensitive, but when the owner wanted to show how good his speakers were with solid state electronics, he’d often use a crazy expensive font end with a Supernait or XS with Flat Cap etc. His rooms were always well regarded. I would have stayed with DeVore, or at least considered them, but they’re not easy to get in the UK, where only some of the models are available. So ATC won out in a shoot out with Harbeth (nice) and a German brand that I don’t remember.

1 Like

These two items are not really comparable and are aimed at slightly different markets.

The Lina is the first system dCS have designed aimed specifically at headphone listening. The Bartok is a DAC, aimed to be used in an audio separates system, albeit with the option of a headphone module.

1 Like

I am at Singapore and the DeVore speaker does look interesting. I will likely settle on active ATC based on so many good reviews.

1 Like

Steve Huff connected the Lina to a transport. In his comparison he isolated the dac particularly in how he sounds vs other dacs. You can see his reviews.

That may be the case, but the overwhelming percentage of Bartok customers would not compare it to a Lina. That was the point I was trying to make. The Lina looks good, but I’m not enough of a headphone user to justify the cost…

1 Like

He preferred the presentation of the Lina dac , only as dac, vs the Bartok.
As I wrote above, sometimes cheaper can be preferred. Like some prefer the 282 vs 252, Chord Hugo tt vs Dave….There’s difference between better and preferred.
I preferred my Nds old spec streamer dac vs the bare Rossini. I am talking about the kind of presentation.

I wounder if the bartock was updated with the 2.0 software or not. As its not been out long for it and makes a big difference.
I know we all like difference things, which is good, but really taking a nds to a rossini, even without a clock, is like turning up to a fight with a pocket knife against a gun. Lol

1 Like

It’s like preferring a Rega P10 vs SME 20/3. Anyway we won’t have that discussion again, we won’t agree. You make a focus on better, more details….vs my focus on the kind of presentation.

I prefer too the Meitner MA3 ( 10 k euros) vs the bare Rossini ( 20 k). I preferred also the Linn KDSM vs bare Rossini.
Preferred the Rossini vs the Dave, with a Lumin transport.
My tastes, my ears. Nothing to do with a knife vs a gun. It’s music, it’s subjective, not based on specs, measurements or price.

4 Likes

I knew you would take the bite, even with the lol after it.
Just chill.

2 Likes

The problem with the Lol is that it can have a double meaning : « I am just kidding, don’t take it seriously « or « thinking that you prefer your nds vs the Rossini is ridiculous « .
Glad you clarified your lol, Lol :grin:

3 Likes

I believe dCS consider the Bartok to be above the Lina

Steve Huff is one guy. Majority on HeadFi - end users - consider the Bartok to be superior.

The Ring DAC board is the same on the Bartok, Rossini, and Vivaldi. Software is a main differentiating feature. Two toroid PS additionally differentiates Bartok from Rossini. Even though Bartok now runs 2.0 software - same as the original Rossini - Rossini performance was still better due to PS.

Enough digression from the thread - I am out now.

Best
Gregg

PS disclaimer - my comments are not speculation or interwebs reading. I owned a Bartok and own a Rossini

3 Likes

You know me by now surely.
We even agree on things these days, well apart from one thing lol, or is that lol.lol.

1 Like

Steve Huff didn’t compare the Bartok against the Lina.

According to his youtube video, when he tried the Bartok he had different speakers and a different amp.

So he didn’t actually compare the two DACs.

Therefore he did not find the Lina superior to the Bartok.

He simply liked the Lina.

Google for : “My TOP TEN DAC List. These are my Faves and #1 will SURPRISE YOU!”

Start at : 14:04

I did not say he preferred the Lina to the Bartok
It was a rooster who said that😉

I watched the video. Indeed, he didn’t compared both directly. But said however he didn’t liked so much the Bartok when he heard it, in a different system. And then he said even if I didn’t heard the Bartok recently, I feel to prefer the Lina ( or something like that).
Anyway it’s not very important. Just wanted to say that sometimes we can prefer a component down the range vs up the range. It’s a matter of taste. Some prefer Chord Hugo vs Dave, NAC 282 vs 252, 250 dr vs 300 dr…and so on.

BartoK, BartoK, BartoK…

2 Likes

The bartock was also pre upgrade, since then it had the free 2.0 dac software. Just to clear that up.
Back on topic as they say