How good is the pre-amplifier of the UnitiQute2

How good is the pre-amplifier of the UnitiQute2 ?
I’m planning to build a very good Single Ended Class-A FET amplifier.

Is it capable of showing ‘differences’ when connected to different amplifiers?

“How good” is a relative question.

I assume from your description the the amp in question is a class A headphone amp.

How are you planning to optimise the amp design and voice the amp (including component selection)?
(I always found this the most time consuming and difficult part of designing and building audio amps.)

Planning to build the Aleph J from Nelson Pass (Pass Labs / FirstWatt).

Main question is does the UQ2 be able to make a difference between external amplifiers.

Incidentally that’s not single ended topology, it’s a pseudo-balanced input dynamic bias push pull design.

Certain components in that design will be massively critical to the overall quality, selection of these components will be, well, interesting.
It actually a very clever design though.

The UQ2 can certainly be good enough to allow differences between some power amps to be heard, however, the interaction between a power amp, the speakers and the room is still more significant, and you’ll usually hear more difference here.

Having said that some characteristics (such as ‘inner detail’ and some transient characteristics) may not be present from a UQ2 at a sufficiently defined level to be able to distinguish differences in these specific traits in high end power amplifiers.

Note that this also assumes that you have speakers that are also exceptionally revealing.

On the subject of speakers I’d be concerned about that amplifier driving ‘difficult’ speaker loads - i.e. speakers with wildly varying impedance characteristics vs frequency.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.