How it looks / not how it sounds

Doesn’t fit my definition of a “room”.

1 Like

Hi Fi Review was led by Chris Frankland with Malcom Steward, Ian Rankin and others. It used to make me lol long before the abbreviation had been invented! Ever so slightly pro Linn/Naim at the expense of most other brands. I loved it!

Stu

1 Like

So it’s not Hi Fi News and Record Review?

Nope not HFN&RR. It was initially the Flat Response which then became Hi-Fi review.

2 Likes

:small_blue_diamond: James_n,…Flat Response,we in Sweden also read.
It was way ahead of Internet :grin:.

/Peder🙂

It certainly seems to be well read. Chris Frankland writes for Hi-Fi Critic now with a mostly Audionote based system (I wonder how that would have faired in the FR days…) and I think Malcolm Steward is still very ill after his car accident a couple of years ago. I miss his reviewing style.

I also miss Malcolm’s love of music, he used to talk with great joy about artists and albums he loved.

1 Like

Of all the reviewers he s the one i do miss, think he is in a care home down in Devon or Cornwall, his hifi gear i think got sold off as he would not be able to use it…very, very sad indeed.

1 Like

Peder -
Are those weights of some kind on top of the SF speakers. To me it is sort of like taking a pair of gorgeous speakers and hitting them with an ugly stick.

perhaps you will prefer these stands? i nearly bought these some years ago.

2 Likes

Fat rats I think. I guess tgere’s a cat prowling the room…

The room looks like a hifi demo room not a person’s lounge.

1 Like

i wonder if there’s a woman in this house…

And did a similar thing when they compared the freebie AT cartridge that Linn was giving away with its BasikPlus arm (cost around 13 GBP) with the top of the range Koetsu (cost around 500 GBP, which was an awful lot of money for a cartridge in the mid 1980s).

Well, perhaps the room isn’t that bad - perhaps the ceiling has a hoist that can be lowered to lift each amplifier when cleaning is needed. I can see wanting to show off all that equipment but to have it filling the floor just looks ridiculous. At the very least custom racks to hold the amps.

1 Like

No need for central heating as I imagine the room gets very warm…!

1 Like

He is probably the power companies favorite residential customer

A lot of people here have a dedicated consumer unit for their hifi power feed, he probably has a substation.

2 Likes

Mind you his wife still does the design work for Hi-Fi Critic. Now there s interesting rag - sans advertisements, a bit pricy but some nice in depth reviews. I think it continues a pro-Naim tradition too. Perhaps that’s why I like it!

Agreed -timeless. I would show off the Tranquility but would need to remove the inner and outer platters!

5 Likes

Maybe not Mike, but just look at all those cables you could kick :wink: