How it looks / not how it sounds

the streamer was good ? i find it interesting to have a streamer / dac/ pre/ server / ripper in one box.

I’ve always though A&K deserve an award for the absolutely worst designed gear on the planet.

Especially their portable devices that have knobs and pointy angles to make them as un pocket friendly as if that was their intention.

i have not touched their portable devices, but find them relatively nice. But prefer the portable sony.
For the audio components ( the photo), i agree. How will they sell that? no woman will like very probably.

However, what i find interesting, is that in 1 box you have 5 components : dac/ streamer / server / ripper / preamp

French turntables, made by artisan / engineer Pierre Riffaud. No electronics or power supply, just the best mechanical engineering :

4 Likes

Why surprised? Surely this is just a Nova, minus source of noise (power amp), plus ripper, which is non operational whilst playing music. Don’t Linn successfully combine most functions in one box (Selekt)?

Whatever, I liked what I heard. No preconceptions in this corner.

the preamp is analog. There is no amp. It’s like a 272 with server/ ripper inside.

Back to the an exotic speaker theme, this is called Grateful Vanity.

Designed by French visual artists Kuntzel & Deygas I have no idea how it sounds - maybe as odd as it looks?

3 Likes

grateful vanity (?) I’d call it cap’n crunch

french artists can be more inspired… Original however.

Looks good - apart from the legs.

some non conventional sprekers :

the last are french Diptyque speakers.

Someone posted the butterfly earlier.

i didn’ t realize…

I think i also saw it in one of the old mothra movies

I don’t think we’ve had these yet.

or these. Both horrendously expensive but sounded interesting at Munich. Below these they get uglier as they approach affordability.

3 Likes

First speakers I’ve ever seen that have had songs sung about them. Johnny Cash (amongst many others) used to sing about the long black veil.

the top mbl are probably the most impressive speakers available. They need a lot of current, so probably, outside mbl amps, they need something like naim statement or boulder amps.
Mbl recommends 4X 440 watt amps for the top 101 extreme.

Concrete Audio. Wall mounted speakers made from concrete. A Brutalists dream come true. Also done with a more conventional wooden cabinet. Both look very nice to my eyes.

2 Likes

very nice. Difficult to guess that it’s a speaker.

The top picture reminded me of the front of the old (now in the attic) tandberg fasette speakers. They were 5(?) sided and could be tilted. They were small modern design and with the addition of a bracket, I was able to put them (facing forward) in the back of a toyota corolla lift- back- along with an amp. (what was I thinking?)

1 Like