How long have you been on the Naim journey?

Not very long as I am rather young.:wink:

1 Like

July 2011. I just searched my mail, and I ordered my Nait XS2, Flatcap, NDAC and Unitiserve almost 8 years to the day ago. I put it all on a Quadraspire rack. With NACA5. I ordered the Devore Nines at the same time. The Nines were the last bit remaining from then, and they left about 6 weeks ago.

Started getting interested in Hi-Fi as a kid in the late 70s / early 80s … started with Naim around 2006 with a CDX2.

Interesting the mix of new recruits and more mature converts.

From Waltham music centre in 1982 to JVC in 1987 and onto separates in 1994. (Marantz CD63-Denon PMA-450 integrated into Revolver Purdy speakers). Went through several CDP (Marantz and Sony) Technics amp and B&W DM 503.

Had a demo of a CD5x/ flatcap in 2004 and ended up with this and 112x/150x in early 2005.

Then the NAIM JOURNEY 2005-2011.

CDX2 -> CDX2/XPS2 -> CDS3/XPS2 -> CDS3/555PS-> CD555/555PS

202-> 202/Hicap->282/HiCap->282/supercap ->552. (Stageline)

250-2->300->300DR

bought SL2s in 2007 and all but my sources are still Naim.

(Mind you it does all look a bit mad written down and one can’t help but think there was a bit of compulsive disorder about so much upgrading)

EDIT oh dear, there was a n-Dac, uniqute and superuniti in there also!
.sjb

4 Likes

I bought my LP 12 in1978 then my first venture into Naim started when I moved house in 1983 a 32, Snaps & 250. With the moved sold the Quad 57’s and bought the Linn DMS Isobariks. When the Hi-Cap was available and the modification of the 32 to 32.5. The system stayed like that 30 years along the way a Nat 101 / Snaps and a CDS / CDPS was added.

Regards,

Martin

3 Likes

:small_blue_diamond:Started with Linn/Naim in 1983,.See my profile.

/Peder😃

There are some great stories in this thread, really illustrates the heritage of Naim equipment.

For me I was late to the party.
I really treated myself at the end of the 80’s and bought a Kenwood stack.
That then lasted me until late 2000’s by which time I was hardly listening to it, I thought I had fallen out of love with music.
Wasnt even aware of Naim at that stage.

Then I went to my local hi-fi dealer in Stratford-on-Avon and asked ‘what can you show me that will simplify and improve what Ive got, give me great sound, and be futureproof as far as possible with regards to streaming.’
'Here, Chris, let me show you the Naim Uniti, just out, I think this might be what you are looking for :slight_smile:
Once I had picked myself back up of the floor realising how much money I would have to shell out (I had no idea by that point how much quality hi-fi cost) I went away with a fire in my belly.
Saved some pennies as quickly as I could and then phoned back a couple of months later, got one on order. That was 2010.

Havent looked back since really.
Several changes and upgrades since then - definitely poorer in pocket, but richer in quality of life with a rediscovered excitement for music.

2 Likes

First Naim was bought in 1999 - 102/180/napsc. They stayed for around 10 years until replacement by 52/250/sc. in the meantime I bought HH’s SBLs and a cds2 and xps2 (later swapped for 555) oh, and a full n-system. Then two years ago I got NDS and a 300. Last year went active with a pair of 300s into SL2s. And this year got a 552. Phew! The LP12 predates all of that, having been purchased in 1994 - my first hifi was bought in 1985

1 Like

I started out 40 years ago with a technics TT, amp, tuner and acoustic research speakers. Then i set my heart on a musical fidelity A1…it sounded great till they brought out a Nait to try, but eventually bought a 62/90…and was sold on the Naim sound. In the midst of this i bought Mordeaunt short floorstanders. First cd player was a philips cd101 which went wrong, then an Arcam cd transport and deltec pdm1 dac. Then came upgrades to 82 preamp, nap250 and finally bought the lovely CDS. Then went active with another 250 and SBL,s…even took this to the U.S with the family.
Then we did a room makeover and it all got stored, too busy with work and then sold the lot…big mistake.
Then 3 years ago, retired, wanted some music so bought a Muso. Then dug my cd collection out and bought a Uniti Core. That set me off again with Nova, Pmc 25.26. Recently upgraded to ND555, 252/SC and 300 dr, really having fun and enjoying and buying music again. Biggest regret was selling, looking back…oh well life is full of mistakes.

3 Likes

And in a nutshell , you have said why we spend so much money, music enriches life. HiFi breaks the bank, but music enriches life.

2 Likes

Since about 1983/84. Bought a Nait (with LP 12 and Kans). This lasted until 1993 when I replaced the Nait with an 82, 250 and Hicap. The Kans were replaced by SBLs in 1996 and finally added a CDX2 in 2008. This remains my system to this day.

Oh, forgot to mention the LP12 has an Aro arm.

I bought my Olive Nait 2 when they came out. Loved it. I sold it to my cousin when I upgraded to a 32-5/90. He still uses it and won’t sell it back to me.
:blush:

I bought my first system back in 1991. RP3, Arcam Alpha CD player, Creek Amp, Technics tuner, Denon tape deck, Infinity speakers.

Got into AV for a while with Pioneer amp and surround system, AE and Tannoy speakers.

Then Naim journey began about 3 years ago:

Nait 5si, CD5Si, Linn Akis, Linn Kelidh

Upgraded after a year to:

Nac 82, Nap 250, Linn LP12, 2 olive hicaps, ND5 XS, CD5Si, Linn Kelidh speakers.

Now with services and upgrades:

Nac 82, Nap 135s x 2 CB, LP12, rebuilt akito tonearm with Lingo, Graham Slee phono stage, Supercap 2, CDS2, XPS olive, ND5 XS, Teddy Pardo DAC, Zoneripper, Focal Aria 936 speakers.

I am loving the music and each upgrade brings new horizons to the system. I have learnt alot from the forum and talking to dealers and enthusiasts.

Looking at NDS, Fraim and 555PS going forward. Powerlines, hilines, distribution blocks, LP12 upgrades and maybe better speakers!

I bought Linn LP12, 42.5/Hicap/140, Linn SARA.

Currently: NDX2/XPSDR/282/HCDR/250DR/Fraim

2 Likes

Then: CD3.5/HiCap/Nait 3/Creek T43 tuner/Monitor Audio PMC 703 speakers.

Now: NDX2/555PSDR/Uniti Core/252/SCDR/300DR into ATC SCM19s/SL interconnect/Tellurium Ultra Black II speaker cables/Quadraspire SVT racks.

Next: Considering 552DR (made the mistake of a home demo pairing 552DR with 300DR :astonished:)

1 Like

Big mistake, home demos. It’s quicker just to pay the guy and take them home, cause after the demo you won’t want to send them back. :grin:

2 Likes

@popeye first NAIM was 20 years ago, had a lovely NAD 370 and CD which Son now has

CD5i> CDX2 with XPS > NDX in 2014 still in system

200 > moved in 2017 to 300 non DR > DR in 2018

202 with HCDR >282 with HCDR NAPSC (2016)> 282 with SC (Jan 2019) > 252/SC moved in April 2019

Spendor SE6’s > B&W 805N (2017) > next will be Kudos T505 - when budget allows

one constant over the years LP12 - which is now Lingo4/Ekos SE/Khan/Kore/Cirkus2/tranquilty/Naim Pre/ DV20x

1 Like

Now pushed the button on a new 552DR :grinning:

7 Likes

See, I told you :grin:

2 Likes