How many defective 552 units is Naim going to send me?

Yes, I have written to Naim, and my local dealer is also taking care of it.

As to self collect the products, that’s not possible for me.

Damage could happen during transport, sure, but this is part of the overall supply chain and Naim need to do what it takes to ensure quality end to end.

At this stage, I have no idea as to which part of the process has failed, for each case (!) but I have requested a full report.

1 Like

Indeed, but I’d expect the dealer to fully check it and then collect from the dealer. Obviously without Covid I’d expect the dealer to install it too.

2 Likes

I generally ask my dealer to unpack and test the new products i buy from him, before i roll up and collect. But i remember my dealer having a customer with a run of bad luck like you who insisted if it was unpacked it was not new? Each to their own.

1 Like

With the exception of Muso I always have a Naim dealer install.

Regards,

Lindsay

2 Likes

I thought I was unlucky with my 552.
I know its a pain at the time, but it will be sorted ASAP, as mine was, and then you can finally get down to running it in and just enjoying it.

1 Like

My dealer does (did pre-COVID) install. As part of last year’s change of system, he paid three visits to my house 40 miles from the shop bringing and taking away very heavy speakers for home testing and setup. And that’s at a price level well below top level Naim stuff like 552. A good dealer is a great blessing.

Roger

1 Like

You need a different dealer then :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Other than that . . . it’s a great idea.

Yes – we customers defy categorization. I have a friend who is quite “particular;” he’s not a hi fi guy but with cars, watches, etc., it has to be BRAND new for him. Cars – he wants to be there when it comes in off the delivery truck. I’m sure this happens with hi fi too; some customers want to take the butter knife themselves to those factory-placed big staples in the box . . .

There’s a reason that “unboxing” and “unwrapping” videos are SO popular on YouTube. Some get quite a serotonin hit from the process.

2 Likes

My brand new 552 had a relay get stuck and I lost my left channel completely, although I was surprised by that assuming that the quality assurance for a product of this cost would be super tight, nevertheless I figured many things can happen during shipment stages (I live in Dubai so it is not as straight forward for Naim to control the entire supply chain)

The worst for me was the wait, it took weeks to get a brand new unit shipped back… But when I listen to it now, all is forgotten and I grin ear to ear with joy as this pup sounds like a champ… no regrets.

2 Likes

Naim dealers are supposed to do the install but you can decline and do it all yourself if you wish. It is part of the service though.

1 Like

I can understand a rare overlooked defect even with a high end product such as the 552, but 2 brand new units in a row to same customer? I assume Naim will investigate thoroughly to their benefit.
Sorry @AhTiong

3 Likes

What happens with mine. Are they meant to deliver and install it? I’ve miss a trick if they are. Although the arrival date for my ndx2 changed so many times, in the end as soon as it was in, I just wanted to pick it up immediately.

1 Like

I’m very surprised by your experience and having been a Naim owner of new and used gear of many years I would say that it is definitely not very common. In fact Naim is the only equipment I have ever owned that has worked flawlessly.

1 Like

I have heard of a relay issue…usually if they fail they fail very early on…something that usually gets picked up during soak test…mostly otherwise they go on for donkeys years…I think also Naim have recently changed suppliers… Richard may be able to confirm that…

1 Like

Like a lot of manufacturers over the last 8 months their supply chain and choice of supply has been compromised. Yes, post build testing should sort some of this out.

My dealer used to do this, until one customer refused to collect his purchase because it was, in his words, used. For him (the customer) only an unopened box meant a new item. Funnily this happened with a product that had issues in the past (not something from Naim).

1 Like

In that case i would open in the dealers and just watch them check it out…particularly if its a long drive.

Im not sure having the dealer check would help much other than for immediately obvious faults. In this case, maybe the first fault would have been noticed but the second? Would the dealer really have been expected to run it for an hour or more?

Though it’s incredibly frustrating, there will always be unforeseen issues that slip through the net. My car came with a faulty oil tank, which was replaced with another faulty oil tank, twice. Weeks off the road and the new engine oil and cleaning fluids weren’t covered under warranty (the dealer paid). That car was several times the cost of a 552 but every time I drive it, all is forgiven ! Hopefully the OP feels the same once the 552 is finally singing…

4 Likes

Further to a previous thread, I asked my UK Dealer about installing as they always have done for me and I thought it was part of the Naim dealer contract, I know it used to be.

He was unsure as to the precise position now as he had never checked because he couldn’t understand why a dealer would not wish to install for two reasons, firstly to ensure a fully satisfied customer with a system working optimally and secondly for the further sales potential that a knowledge of the customer’s system in situ would give.

That seems reasonable to me.